Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer acting up recently (Resolved)

hdd chkdsk asus

Best Answer Incoming , 02 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

Apologies Phil.. I ended up going away from home after work so I decided to re-run the chkdsk /f /r and left it on for ~36 hrs. By the time I got back the next day it had restarted, and the problem... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Incoming

Incoming

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Hey all,

My computer (Asus Q551L w/ Windows 8.1 & ~1TB HDD) has been acting up recently. More often than normal (it didn't use to at all) explorer.exe has been crashing and rebooting. Sometimes I'll just be moving files around or switching windows and it'll randomly crash.

Also, when I go to make a new folder it's slow as [bleep]. Same with a lot of things in Explorer.

I ran chkdsk /f /r but while I was running it I spilled water on my keyboard and freaked out, rebooting the computer to check what damages there were. No problems there, but at the time the scan had been stuck on 10% for about three hours. I haven't scanned yet, but I was wondering if there is some other thing I can do to view a report of the kinds of problems I may have in my hard drive and if chkdsk /f /r is the only way to fix. I spend a lot of time on my computer so options that I can be on it are the best, but if I need to be on a different laptop I can be.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello incoming,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...Okv4WqHtyzDGpEw

If you find anything personal can you please let me know. I used ctrl f for some keywords and found nothing so should be good to go. Sorry about the delay, I checked for a couple days but I've been really busy.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No personal details are present in the Speccy report.

Other than the repeated failed Windows update I see nothing in the Speccy report that would explain the issue/s that you describe, you may need a Windows 8.1 disk for what I suggest which is a system refresh, steps copied from MS are below;

Refreshing your PC without affecting your files

If your PC isn't performing as well as it once did, and you don't know why, you can refresh your PC without deleting any of your personal files or changing your settings.

Note
  • If you upgraded your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and your PC has a Windows 8 recovery partition, refreshing your PC will restore Windows 8. You’ll need to upgrade to Windows 8.1 after the refresh has finished.

Warning
  • Applications you’ve installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Applications that came with your PC and apps you've installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed applications on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

To refresh your PC
  1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, then tap Change PC settings.
    (If you're using a mouse, point to the top-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, then click Change PC settings.)

2. Tap or click Update and recovery, then tap or click Recovery.

3. Under Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap or click Get started.

4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Are you sure? What about the chkdsk problem? Will this fix it if it is a hard drive problem? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If it is a problem with Windows a refresh will hopefully resolve it without the need for an installation disk to be used, the latter is normally only required when Windows has been damaged/corrupted in some way.

A refresh will not fix a flaky HDD so if the issue persists after a refresh has been tried, back up any important data and then test the drive with Seatools for Windows, download and usage details here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you Incoming, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Incoming

Incoming

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
✓  Best Answer

Apologies Phil.. I ended up going away from home after work so I decided to re-run the chkdsk /f /r and left it on for ~36 hrs. By the time I got back the next day it had restarted, and the problems have gone away.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem, glad to hear that the issue appears to have been resolved and thanks for the follow up Incoming  :thumbsup:

NB: If we don't hear back from you in a week or so we can mark your thread as having been answered.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

zoky34

Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance has already been offered to the OP.

Please start your own topic and we will be happy to assist you there, it will be helpful if you can provide as much information as possible about your computer and it`s hardware/software + any troubleshooting steps that you may have tried already.