Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't receive email in Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

ron43

ron43

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Can send but not receive email in Outlook 2003. I have changed the settings to many suggested incoming and outgoing settings to no avail. I even do test settings and get "completed" and green checks but when I click on send/receive I get error message on incoming. I can receive email on my iPhone using the same wifi connection. I have tried my laptop at a remote wifi location and it still doesn't receive email

Advertisements

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

What's the exact error message you are receiving on incoming?

ron43

ron43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Task 'mail.comcast.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800408FC) : 'The server name you entered can not be found on the network (it might be down temporarily). Please verify that you are online and that the server name is correct.'

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

I would advise you trying the fix that helped some folks over at the Comcast forums here and here:

Try disabling (unchecking) IPv6 within Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings -> right-click Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection and select Properties, then uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).

Hope this'll help yo.

ron43

ron43

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I don't believe it!! IT WORKED!! After spending hours and hours on the phone with Comcast, Microsoft, and McAfee who couldn't help. Thank you so much.. One last question though.....is the disabling of that (IPv6) in any way put my computer at risk for anything? THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!

Yisroel

Yisroel

GeekU Senior

• GeekU Senior
  • 1,101 posts

One last question though.....is the disabling of that (IPv6) in any way put my computer at risk for anything?

From a security standpoint there is no risk whatsoever. However there are some, although so far not to much, services and software that depend on IPv6, and they won't work. But you can enable it anytime if needed by re-checking that checkbox.