Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC freezes from time to time.

Best Answer phillpower2 , 31 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

Notice the increased temps, corresponding increase in voltages and the high CPU usage, these will increase further when you are actually gaming, the PSU output still appears stable so it points bac... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

I built my PC last year and had problems with it which were fixed but now months later I'm getting random freezing. The computer freezes completely and is non-responsive, I have to do a fore restart.

I started off with using Anti-Virus and Malware scans. Nothing found.

I did a memory check with the Windows own RAM checker. No problems found.

Did a thorough hard drive check. No errors found.

All drivers and Windows Updates are up-to-date.

PC Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LX

Processor: Intel i5 3570K

RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB

Graphics Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition 80+ Bronze Semi-Modular Power Supply

Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive  (Secondary)

Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive (Primary)

I also have been monitoring temperatures and everything seems OK except with the ASUS Suite 2 which seems to be giving me warnings of the PSU volts being too low occassionally but CPUID HWMonitor says they are steady.

If you need more info, let me know.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Heres the update

Attached Thumbnails

• 8419b539e28d00ad036c00588dad17a2.png
  • 45af83fe99914cd7631160c17322d8a6.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The V core readings are too low and there are high MB temperatures reported, this may suggest bad voltages due to one or more MB VRMs (Voltage Regulator Modules) being faulty, has the system ever been overclocked, if yes, to what voltage.

TMPIN 3/4 = Sensors near the GPU/VRMs 

AUXTIN is the power supply temp sensor if there is one. 

What is a VRM explanation here

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I've never overclocked the PC to any aspect that I know of. I wouldn't even know where to start although I have seen a few YT videos on it, just too technical for me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Your PSU output looks fine which means that you may need to get the MB tested by a suitably qualified tech who has the correct equipment and knowledge.

Please restart your computer and check the CPU voltage in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of it and let us know what it is.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Its getting late here so will be going offline shortly.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I restarted my PC, went into the BIOS. It seems steady at 1.024V.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

That voltage would be fine if the computer was under load which unfortunately it isn't while only accessing the BIOS, incidentally, the low CPU temps even at max reported by HWMonitor may suggest that the CPU is not receiving adequate voltage.

Suggested steps for now would be to do some gaming and then take some fresh Speedfan and HWMonitor readings and attach new screenshots for us and download and run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (64-bit) from here please read the provided information thoroughly before running any tests.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Played H1Z1. These are the results.

Also I ran the Intel Diagnostic Tool. Ran it twice. Passed both times.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

Edited by agent_numpty, 31 May 2015 - 05:43 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Notice the increased temps, corresponding increase in voltages and the high CPU usage, these will increase further when you are actually gaming, the PSU output still appears stable so it points back to a VRM again I'm afraid.

Good news on the two Intel passes but can I ask if any voltages were reported.

Go into the BIOS and restore the MBs default factory settings (sometimes listed as "most stable settings) if there is an optimised settings listed please be sure not to select it by mistake as it is overclocks your hardware and will cause further instability.

Advertisements

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I've gone into the BIOS and there was a Default button, I just pressed that and it put everything back to factory settings (I hope).

Is this a temperary fix until I can get it tested fully by a qualified technician?

If the PC technician were to find a fault on the motherboard and I would need to replace it. Would looking into the quantity/quality of VRMs be a factor in the choice? I've been doing some research (just in case) and found one that is slightly more expensive but has 3x more VRMs to CPU than my current one does.

UPDATE: Btw, philpower2, you have helped me before when I had issues with my PC when I first built it. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.geekstogo...lease-resolved/

Edited by agent_numpty, 31 May 2015 - 10:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

How is the computer behaving at the moment?

The possibility of one or more VRMs being bad is based on 1: the PSU output looks good so it is less likely to be the cause. 2: the CPU passed two thorough Intel based tests.

At present I would not consider purchasing a new MB regardless of the amount of VRMs that it had.

Thanks for the link btw, was already aware of the previous thread and did return there for some insight into your hardware  :thumbsup:

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

The PC is doing OK so far.

I went into the ASUS Suite II after doing the BIOS default settings and used default on there too. The Suite keeps giving me a warning on Chasis Fan 1 although I don't think it was ever active in the first place. I'm thinking of opening the tower just to check the fans are working still. Did a visual check on the case fans and they're all working though.

Since the BIOS default settings update I have had CPUID HWMonitor running and the VCore range seems to go from 0.6 to 1.2 from time to time based on what I'm doing. I did some research last night and on an Intel forum, they said the range may be from 0.250 to 1.5. I can give the link if needed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Link not required thanks  :thumbsup:

Min = 0.2500 Max = 1.5200 Typ = 1.7 if I'm not mistaken, for a CPU that is not being OCd but is under load 0.9 to 1.2V should be stable.

Best course of action would be to see how the system behaves for a while.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Time for an update.

Since the defaulted settings, I've had no crashes at all.

Job well done. Thanks.