Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get HP machine to load Windows, no matter what.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hi all, I figured I'd post this one for the Techs, as I'm not seeing any malware on the machine. I have an HP machine I'm looking at for a friend that will not boot to the desktop, no matter what. I've posted a pic of the BSOD I get with the error code. I wanted to see if we could fix it without having to take it to a shop. Here's some of the issues I'm facing with it.

1.) On boot up, the machine goes to the Repair mode, but after selecting it, the machine will load the files, and crash to a BSOD with the code below.

2.) I've tried every mode possible to get into. Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc. The machine will load the files and when it gets to crcdisk.sys, the machine will reboot.

3.) I used a recovery environment disk to run some malware scans and didn't see anything. That doesn't mean it's not clean, but I want to see if it's a hardware issues and hopefully get it booting again so I can really look it over. The first time I used a recovery environment cd, I had no problems. The second time I did it, it crashed to a BSOD.

4.) At one point, I tried to go ahead and invoke the Recovery Partition and just wipe the whole thing. It did the same thing, loaded files, and then rebooted.

Thanks in advance!

Pystryker

2015-05-30 13.51.38.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi Rusty,

Can you post the model name and/or number for the HP computer + what the OS is please.

It is possible that a repair installation using an appropriate OS disk may be required but I would first try testing the HDD, if that checks out ok I would then test the Ram.

We don't know the brand of HDD so would suggest trying SeaTools for DOS as it works well with other brands.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hi Phil,

The model name of the computer is HP Pavilion Elite m9457c. The OS is Windows Vista.

I have very little access to get into the machine, other than using a recovery environment cd, and it crashed on me in the middle of working on it last time. I did run the on board diagnostic tools, but according to those, the HDD checked out, as did the memory.

I'll burn the Seatools to a disc and see what it finds. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the additional information  :thumbsup:

The onboard diagnostic tests go someway to making a hardware issue less likely and more towards the OS being corrupted, hopefully your friend has either a Vista or System Restore disk/s available else they may need to see if HP still have them available "how to" check here

Will wait on the outcome of the HDD test for now but may I suggest that you restore the MBs factory defaults in the BIOS in case a bad setting there is tripping the HDD up.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi Pystryker,

The machine is probably old because it's running Vista did you check the inside for dust? also the graphic card is on-board or a dedicated one?

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the additional information  :thumbsup:

The onboard diagnostic tests go someway to making a hardware issue less likely and more towards the OS being corrupted, hopefully your friend has either a Vista or System Restore disk/s available else they may need to see if HP still have them available "how to" check here

Will wait on the outcome of the HDD test for now but may I suggest that you restore the MBs factory defaults in the BIOS in case a bad setting there is tripping the HDD up.

I burned the Seatools onto a cd and booted the machine with it. The HP Recovery came up, along with several tests that I could run on the HDD, the memory, and even the CD drive. I had no problems running all the tests until I got to the CD test, and the machine crashed to the same BSOD. I've attached some pictures I took of the tests it ran to show what it tested. I'll also take care of resetting the MB's settings to default.

Quick update. While typing this answer, I booted the machine and tried the Windows Repair option from the Recovery Menu it gave me. I took a picture of the results of Windows Repair and it's included below. It's showing that there are no OS files found. Even though it says the repair was successful, the machine popped up a "Windows failed to load" message.

@SleepyDude

The machine is dust free on the inside, and the graphics card is a dedicated one.

2015-05-30 20.15.24.jpg 2015-05-30 20.17.31.jpg 2015-05-31 06.42.56.jpg

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Update: After going into and resetting the default settings, the machine successfully booted up. However, I can't do any further testing until I can get my friend to wake up and answer the phone at his house to get his password. :lol: Please let me know what hardware tests you'd like me to run and I will as soon as I can get into the machine. :)

Edit: While waiting for the password, the machine crashed to a BSOD again.

2015-05-31 07.21.23.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not sure how thorough those tests were (or how many partitions are on the HDD) and unfortunately there is nothing concrete there that points towards a hardware or software issue I'm afraid  :(

Couple of questions if I may,

Does your friend have a Vista or system restore disk specific to the computer.

What is the boot order set as in the BIOS.

Has Seatools been run.

Apart from the screen is there anything else plugged into the computer as in an ethernet cable, wireless dongle etc.

Getting late here so will be going offline shortly but meanwhile would suggest that if a Vista disk is available you could try booting with it in the drive tray to see if it loads.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Not sure how thorough those tests were (or how many partitions are on the HDD) and unfortunately there is nothing concrete there that points towards a hardware or software issue I'm afraid  :(

Couple of questions if I may,

Does your friend have a Vista or system restore disk specific to the computer.
What is the boot order set as in the BIOS.
Has Seatools been run.
Apart from the screen is there anything else plugged into the computer as in an ethernet cable, wireless dongle etc.

Getting late here so will be going offline shortly but meanwhile would suggest that if a Vista disk is available you could try booting with it in the drive tray to see if it loads.

For the moment, it seems to be booting, albeit every time it boots, it wants me to choose between Ramdisk or Windows Vista (Recovered). As for the questions:

1.) I asked him about that, and he says no, he does not.

2.) Boot order is set to HDD, then to the CD drive.

3.) Regarding SeaTools, I burned it to a disc as per the instructions, and used it to boot the machine. When I did, that's when I got the HP Recovery menu that allowed me to run all the tests on the hardware. It also gave me the option of using it to restore the machine to factory settings. Did I do something incorrect?

4.) There is a wireless usb mouse other than the monitor plugged into the machine.

One note: I ran chkdsk /f when it starting booting with some stability and it ran to completion. However, I ran sfc /scannow and it would get to about 77% and then says Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

No worries, respond when you can, as I can keep the machine as long as necessary. :thumbsup:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Repair action: Partition table repair

I really don't trust on Windows to fix partitions! If you can access windows now check if there is some HP tool to create the recovery disks.

Based on the report I would try to confirm if the Partitions are ok by using something like Parted Magic is there is something strange with the partitions I usually go for a data backup, delete everything and start over.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hi,

Repair action: Partition table repair

I really don't trust on Windows to fix partitions! If you can access windows now check if there is some HP tool to create the recovery disks.
Based on the report I would try to confirm if the Partitions are ok by using something like Parted Magic is there is something strange with the partitions I usually go for a data backup, delete everything and start over.

I'm actually pretty close to doing that, now that I can get into the system. All the data that is important has been backed up and the owner has given me permission to do whatever it takes.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hi guys,

I'm going to close the thread, as the machine became unstable again today. I've restored it to factory condition and that appears to have solved the problems. Thank you for your help and advice. :)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

:thumbsup:

Now if the machine start acting strange again it could point to some hardware problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for my absence, unfortunately work sometimes keeps me away from the forums :(  

RE reply #9;

2.) Boot order is set to HDD, then to the CD drive.

For testing the HDD using Seatools the boot order needs to be the CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second, additionally the option to boot from a USB device can sometimes be selected as a third choice but any option to boot from a network device should be disabled unless the computer has previously been configured to do so.

As you appear to have been able to successfully boot the computer into Windows you make like to provide your friend with some recovery media for any future emergency HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Creating the Recovery Disc Set (Windows Vista)

You are welcome btw  :)

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Apologies for my absence, unfortunately work sometimes keeps me away from the forums :(

No worries at all. :)

For testing the HDD using Seatools the boot order needs to be the CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second, additionally the option to boot from a USB device can sometimes be selected as a third choice but any option to boot from a network device should be disabled unless the computer has previously been configured to do so.

As you appear to have been able to successfully boot the computer into Windows you make like to provide your friend with some recovery media for any future emergency HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Creating the Recovery Disc Set (Windows Vista)

You are welcome btw :)

I'll get to work on those recovery disks at once. It's finally finished updating Windows, so hopefully *fingers crossed* that's the end of it. If not, I'll run SeaTools and re-open the thread. :thumbsup: :)