Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi modem with wide coverage

• Please log in to reply

Etonam

Etonam

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there. I'm planing on setting a wireless network that can reach far in my neighbourhood. But so far, I haven't found on the net a wireless modem with wide range. Maybe because I'm a newbie in Networking or I don't know the name for what I'm looking for. Anyway, any help in finding such modem will be much appreciated.

Etonam

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Etonam and welcome to Geeks to Go,

Most home wireless access Points (often incorporated into a router) have a range in unobstructed air space of around 30 metres (or about 100ft.) The wi fi signal is attenuated by intervening walls, obstructions, machinery etc so may be less than that in some environments. It is of course subject to interference from other transmissions operating on the same or similar frequencies.

if you want the wi fi to extend "far into your neighbourhood" then the options are basically to buy commercial equipment (and it's not inexpensive) or build your own if you have or can obtain sufficient expertise to design and built the infrastructure yourself or otherwise purchase the component parts and assemble them yourself.

Long range antennae are available and are often used for neighbourhood networks, marinas, camp sites, business locations and the like. However before creating a long range network its important to decide who will have access to it, under what conditions and It would be wise to enlist the help of your Internet Service Provider as they may have proscriptions on the use of shared network facilities for commercial or even private use and may require you to enter into a business arrangement before allowing it.

There is a useful article here published by Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/...05273312/g.html

and this will provide you with some areas for your initial research

regards

paws

Etonam

Etonam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'll look around and learn more about this. And if I have any questions I'll get back on the forum.
Thanks,Etonam

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

:thumbsup: