Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to 16gb of ram (resolved)

ram help

Best Answer iammykyl , 02 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the reply.RAM is only guarantee compatibility when purchased as a branded sealed kit.   If you but two separate sticks of identically spec ones, they probable would work OK, bu... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Prevailed

Prevailed

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Over the pass few months I have slowly been improving my gaming pc, it is finnaly time to upgrade my from 8gb of ram to 16gb of ram. I want to do this buy adding another 8gb to my already 8gb of ram. Although the reason I'm here is to get some help with some stuff. The original 8gb of ram ( HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 8GB ) have gone from somewhere around 60$ to 150$... Because of this ridiculous price I have two questions. Is it possible to run on two different kinds of ram? As well as the following question of what would be a good kind of ram to get if it is possible ( preferably 2 x 4gb ). I have a MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard and a Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor if that means anything. Thank you for your assistance ahead of time :) .

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think you would be better off spending you $$ elsewhere in a build.   You would only see a performance gain when doing  photo/video editing.   there are many good articles on how much RAM you need for gaming, see below.

Consider, upgrading the GPU, installing a SSD, Dual monitor or a 144Hz monitor > http://www.tomshardw...nitor,3827.html

"So what's our advice? 8GB is probably the safest bet, not because it adds much to performance, but because it will allow you to do more with your system. As for 16GB - we'll stick to our guns here. We might run it in our test rig, but in no way, shape, or form do we recommend it to users who are only interested in maximizing gaming performance." 

Source, > http://techbuyersgur...m/RAMgaming.php

​There are quite a number of games where 16GB will adversely impact performance.

Prevailed

Prevailed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I think you would be better off spending you $$ elsewhere in a build.   You would only see a performance gain when doing  photo/video editing.   there are many good articles on how much RAM you need for gaming, see below.

Consider, upgrading the GPU, installing a SSD, Dual monitor or a 144Hz monitor > http://www.tomshardw...nitor,3827.html

"So what's our advice? 8GB is probably the safest bet, not because it adds much to performance, but because it will allow you to do more with your system. As for 16GB - we'll stick to our guns here. We might run it in our test rig, but in no way, shape, or form do we recommend it to users who are only interested in maximizing gaming performance." 

Source, > http://techbuyersgur...m/RAMgaming.php

​There are quite a number of games where 16GB will adversely impact performance.

I realize there is not a huge difference in gaming but as you said I would like to be able to edit videos and one of the games I play a lot is Minecraft (ikr) and once you start adding stuff to it ram does improve the performance. I realize with other games I will only get a minor fps difference. I already have two 144hz monitors, an ssd, and am not looking to upgrade my gpu (nor do I have the money). I am simply looking to spend about $60 adding another 8gb of ram to my computer although I don't know what kind of ram I should add, Thank you.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for the reply.

RAM is only guarantee compatibility when purchased as a branded sealed kit.   If you but two separate sticks of identically spec ones, they probable would work OK, but not guaranteed because the IC chips on the module may be from a different batch or even a different chip manufacturer.   If you do want to try adding 2x4GB to your existing, make sure it has exactly the same voltage, latency and code,  

Mixing brands like Kingston and say G.Skill is not recommended.   They may work perfectly, work OK for a while, then fail, generate errors you are not aware of or just not work.   Not worth the risk.

The QVL for your MB will give you different brands to choose from, but I think would cost you about the same money.