Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC running very slow after being on for a few hours

• Please log in to reply

abnero

abnero

• Pip
  • 3 posts

So lately my PC has been getting incredibly sluggish after a few hours of simply being on. I've run just about everything I could to try and figure out what's wrong, but nothing has shown up as a problem, so I'm a total loss!

Advertisements

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Do you have try defragmenting and disk cleaning too?

If so, you could be suffering from overheating hardware, especially video cards and CPUs are sensitive to this.

Suggest running a live operating system and see if the problem persists in the same way.

abnero

abnero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I've tried defragging and a disk cleanup, I don't think my hardware's overheating, I keep it pretty well cooled. :( Also, what is a live OS?

Edited by abnero, 02 June 2015 - 06:40 AM.

abnero

abnero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Isn't there anyone who can save me T_T

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

To see what programs are running in the background and how much memory and CPU they are using, open Task Manager.

If you have an antivirus scanner on the computer, spyware protection program, or another security utility, make sure it is not scanning your computer in the background.
Delete temp files
Temporary files are being stored on the hard drive. you can using the EaseUS CleanGenius for Windows utility to delete temporary files and other files no longer needed on the computer.
Verify that there is at least 200-500MB of free hard drive space. This available space allows the computer to have room for the swap file to increase in size, as well as room for temporary files.
Excessive heat can cause a significant decrease in computer performance because most processors automatically reduce the speed of the processor to help compensate for heat related issues.
Dust, dirt, and hair can also constrict proper air flow inside your computer, which can cause a computer to overheat.