Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old printer; no drivers for Windows 7/64. Use Compatibility Mode XP/32

Best Answer Fusionbomb , 04 June 2015 - 06:30 AM

I'm just curious... have you actually been in XP Mode trying these things? CLICK HERE to learn more about setting up XPM (XP Mode). Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I received an old Epson EPL-5700i laser-jet printer as a 'reward'/'packrat trade' for some carpentry tools I Freecycled. Because I don't print often and ink jet machines don't appreciate being ignored, this unit would actually be very useful to me, except neither I nor Windows Update can find a driver for my Win 7/64 system. Drivers do exist for Windows XP/32, so thinking I should be able to run the printer in XP Compatibility Mode, I tried unsuccessfully to go that route.

My questions are: Is it possible to run this printer on my Win 7 system using XP Compatibility Mode and an XP driver, and if so, what are the specific steps I need to take? I have restored my system to its condition before my attempt, so would be starting with a "clean slate".

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello TooNew2,

Step 1: Download the latest drivers for your printer from the following link:

http://www.epson.com...oType=Downloads

Step 2: And now, install it in compatibility mode.

a.      Right click on the setup file (.exe) of the printer driver and select properties.

b.      Click on the compatibility tab.

c.      Check the box “Run this program in compatibility for” and from the drop down menu select the operating system the drivers are for.

d.      Click on Apply and OK.

e.      Now right click on the setup file and select “Run as administrator”.

Info was found HERE.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried the process above, both before, and unsuccessfully again. When I click the Download box, I get a message asking if I want to Run, Save or Save As. After Saving it, an IE window for Downloads opens, showing a list of past and current downloads, with a Run box on the right. Going instead to Start > Downloads and right-clicking on Properties of epson10675.exe, I clicked on the Compatibility tab, selected Win XP (Service Pack 3) and checked the box below for "Run as Administrator", then Apply and OK. A Wizard opens, I go through and finish the process and everything seems fine. [I also tried doing it without the Run as box checked.]

Then I restarted the computer.

When I open Devices and Printers, the Epson is shown in the list and is set as the default unit. Opening Properties for it, it shows in the General tab the Epson model and that it’s a printer. The Hardware tab is empty of data.

When I plug in the USB cable from the printer (which is turned on), I get another “Unspecified” category under Devices and Printers, and in it is a “USB Printer”. The Hardware tab for it shows under Device Functions:

Name                                                        Type

EPSONEPL-5700i                                            Other devices

USB printing support                                          Universal Serial Bus Controllers

It seems to me the system isn't recognizing this USB printer as being the same as the one in the list...

If I try to print a page, the preview looks normal, but nothing happens when I go to actually print. In my first attempts, I was then getting an error message in the Epson window. Now it’s showing one job still in the queue, but describes the printer as being offline.

Right clicking for the Troubleshooting option gives, for the upper Epson, no problems found.

For the “USB Printer” below, troubleshooting says “the driver for Epson EPL-5700i is not installed. Install the latest driver for the device”.

I have tried two UBS cables in case one was bad. The second one does work with other gear. I have changed the order of turning on the printer vs plugging in cable, etc. but the results are all the same.

Yesterday I found a (European?) Epson site http://esupport.epso...q GtYU003D&tc=6 with two different drivers for this model using XP/32, but got essentially the same results as using this download. I was not sure the download used here actually had the driver rather than just other necessary software, but the plain driver downloads did no better. I also think the one used here is XP/64, in case that matters.

Edited by TooNew2, 02 June 2015 - 10:30 PM.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Sorry to hear that didn't work for you.  Unfortunately, I only have 1 suggestion left.

Try the bottom (3rd) download link HERE, you shouldn't need to worry about compatibility mode.

I doubt this will work, but hopefully it will!

Good luck!  :wave:

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Well, I tried your link, did some more digging myself, and retried some previous attempts but failed with them all. I guess it's finally time to do some maintenance on a couple of old inkjet printers and set this one aside until I get my old Win XP system going again, then see if it will work there.

Thanks for the assistance.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
✓  Best Answer

I'm just curious... have you actually been in XP Mode trying these things?

CLICK HERE to learn more about setting up XPM (XP Mode).

TooNew2

TooNew2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Hello, Fusionbomb;

I was basing my actions on conversations I'd overheard a while ago and on some assumptions I'd subconsciously made. I should have researched XP Mode a bit more, but recently I've been too busy to do things right...so seem to have wasted time trying the impossible. Thanks for your information; my system isn't currently set up to run the older mode, but When I finally get a break, I'll have the basics at my fingertips if I choose to try doing it again.