Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to removed AVG 2015 [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Did you reinstall AVG?  If so, you'll need to disable it in order to run JRT. :)

Advertisements

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

AVG uninstalled - currently no virus protection is installed, thats why it seemed odd.

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

OK, did you try running JRT by right-clicking on JRT.exe and choosing "Run as adminstrator..."?

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

On XP Home, this right-click menu entry might appear as simply "Run as...", and you might need to hold down the Shift key when right-clicking on JRT in order to see that option.

Please advise if you are able to get JRT to run or not. :)

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

When I select "Run as..." I don't have the option to run as an administrator. Oddly enough, I have one user account on this PC "Jason" and it has computer administrator rights... but I am not convienced that it fully does.

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Hi Jhazon,

OK, no problem.  I've found that JRT is failing on my clean test installation of Windows XP Home.  So lets try this...

First
Please go ahead and install either the AVG Free Anti-virus which you have said you like or the Avast! Home Edition I've mentioned.  Let it update if it wants.  We need to make sure you're protected.

My instructions will tell you if we need to disable such protection for certain scans/fixes.  :)

Second
Make a backup of the existing registry using ERUNT:

ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed. The standard registry backup options that come with Windows back up most of the registry but not all of it. ERUNT however creates a complete backup set, including the Security hive and user related sections. ERUNT is easy to use and since it creates a full backup, there are no options or choices other than to select the location of the backup files. The backup set includes a small executable that will launch the registry restore if needed.

Click here to download the ERUNT installer. When the download is finished, run it. Follow the prompts to create your first registry backup.

Third

AdwCleaner by Xplode

Download AdwCleaner from here or from here. Save the file to the Desktop.

Note: If you are using IE 8 or above you may get a warning that stops the program from downloading. Just click on the warning and allow the download to complete.

Close all open windows and browsers.

• XP users: Double click the AdwCleaner icon to start the program.
  • Vista/7/8 users: Right click the AdwCleaner icon on the desktop, click Run as administrator and accept the UAC prompt to run AdwCleaner.
    You will see the following console:
    AdwCleaner_Scan_zpsvt1mvqxm.png
  • Click the Scan button and wait for the scan to finish.
  • After the Scan has finished the window may or may not show what it found and above, in the progress bar, you will see: Pending. Please uncheck elements you don't want to remove. Please Do Not delete anything at this time.
  • Do not click the Cleaning button.
  • Click the Logfile button to get the log.
  • Copy and Paste it into your next reply. This report is also saved to C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[R0].txt.
  • Click the X in the upper right corner of the program or click the File menu and click Exit to close the program.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Ok... new problem: unable to install AVG!

pMEyTOB.jpg

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I was able to download and install Avast! ...that is odd!

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

It may not be so odd... as there have been numerous AVG installs over the past 1-2 months that may have corrupted things, especially if the old version is not entirely uninstalled first.

I'm conferring with peers on what might be the best way to handle your AVG issue, but it's good that Avast! is protecting you.

In the meantime, please continue with the above instructions.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Attached is the AdwCleaner log file...

Attached Files

Edited by Jhazon, 06 June 2015 - 04:30 PM.

Advertisements

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Attached is the AdwCleaner log file...

Thanks.  Please copy and paste the contents of logs going forward.  I asked you to attach the AVG one because of it's size and to verify that was why you couldn't paste the text into a post with either web browser.  :)

If you like Avast!, you can certainly keep it, but I'd like to make sure you can install AVG later if you want as well, so we'll try a deeper cleanup of the AVG mess.

Here are our next steps:

First
Use the AVG Reset Access tool to repair any corrupted access rights to AVG files

• Save all your work, close all documents and running programs.
  • Download the AVG Reset Access tool.
  • Close all running programs.
  • Run the downloaded file, and then click Accept to confirm the license agreement.
  • Click Continue to apply the fix. Your computer will be restarted.

Second
Use AVG Remover to remove any previous version of AVG, or its parts.

• Download the AVG Remover tool.
  • Run the downloaded file, and then follow the instructions in the tool.
  • When prompted, click Close to restart your computer. Up to two restarts may be required to finish the removal process.

Third
Run AdwCleaner

• Close all open windows and browsers.
  • Double click the AdwCleaner icon to run AdwCleaner. (Vista and 7 users) Right click the AdwCleaner icon, click Run as administrator and accept the UAC prompt to run AdwCleaner.
  • Click the Scan button and wait for the scan to complete.
  • When the Scan has finished the Scan button will be grayed out and the Cleaning button will be activated.
  • Click the Cleaning button.
    AdwCleaner_Clean_zpsmn8bl7wa.png
  • Everything checked will be deleted.
  • When the program has finished cleaning a report appears.
  • Once done it will ask to reboot, allow this
    adwcleaner_delete_restart.jpg
  • On reboot a log will be produced please copy / paste that in your next reply. This report is also saved to C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt

Finally
In your next reply, please copy/paste the contents of the following logs:

• AVG Remover log
  • AdwCleaner cleaning log

And tell me how the system is running. :)

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Hello Jhazon,

It's been a couple of days since your last reply.  Are you still with me here?  :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.