Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will Malware/Viruses/Spyware/ in windows 7 transfer to windows 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Hi guys,I was just wondering about the free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 7 and pcs with malware/viruses/trojans etc.will they transfer over to windows 10 when the upgrade happens?

I was reading that they are upgrading pirated windows 7 versions aswell.

I thought some pirated windows 7 versions contained malware and was wondering if the malware will transfer over to windows 10 when the upgrade happens on july 29th?

What about people who have genuine windows 7 with unknown viruses and malware on their pc,will the malware transfer over to win10 aswell?

Edited by mrpooh3, 04 June 2015 - 07:46 PM.

Advertisements

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

You can choose do not save any contents when upgrade, then the malware/viruses/trojans cannot be transfered

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi mrpooh3 :)

Depending on where the malware is/are located on the system, yes they can be transferred during the Windows 10 upgrade. If you decide to keep your files, programs, etc. and that there's malicious files located in these folders as well, they'll be transferred. Windows doesn't "scan" the files for malware or virus during the upgrade process, it just moves them. Like Alice said, you can pick the option to not keep any data when upgrading, so these will be deleted. Also, some pirated copies of Windows come with malware yes, but that's on the users that uses them. It's illegal, they shouldn't do it and they only have themself to blame if they live with it.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

thanks,so the best thing to do is pick the option to not keep any data when upgrading,and this way you are getting a fresh install and no risk of malware if any is on your PC transferring.

thank you.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Do you think that you are infected right now? If you think you are, you can always request a check-up in the malware removal section. If you are indeed infected, an helper will help you remove all the malware present on your system.

mrpooh3

mrpooh3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

No I don't think I'm infected....I was just wondering what would happen if a comp was infected when upgrading.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright that's good :)

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Do you think that you are infected right now? If you think you are, you can always request a check-up in the malware removal section. If you are indeed infected, an helper will help you remove all the malware present on your system.

I have requested a check for malware on my system, and still waiting for a reply, I think the guys are presently overstretched. Hoping to br checked soon, before my update on 29th July

Ricky

LightspeeD

LightspeeD

• Pip
  • 5 posts

check it yourself. get BitDefender free Anti-virus & MalwareBytes anti-Malware. Run & scan. Get JRT by malwarebytes ("Junkware Removal Tool"), run it & let it do it's scanning & cleaning. After its done, u will have a log file on ur desktop. Then go to the 'Malware Removal Page' & post ur log file so u can get it looked after by experts in the field. Good luck happy hunting...