Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Samsung Note 3 - no 4g, and not working well in different countries

smartphone 4g LTE signal frequency 4G

• Please log in to reply

alexalexalexalex

alexalexalexalex

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi, 

I bought a Samsung Note 3 in Vietnam (not sure if I still have the receipt), and it didn't work in Canada, or only worked very intermittently. In Thailand it also often doesn't work. Sometimes there is no signal, and sometimes even with a signal I am told that I am not registered on the network, or something similar. Does this have something to do with the frequency that the phone is hardwired for? Can someone please explain this? Also, it does not have "LTE" as a "network mode" option, which I'm told is necessary for 4G. It only has WCDMA/GSM, WCDMA only or GSM only options. Can this also please be explained to me, and what can I do to change it? The phone does sometimes work, which is possibly more frustrating than if it did not work at all. 

Is it a hardware problem? That some phones can work internationally and some cannot? Can this be changed? 

Please, any information would be great. I am fairly tech illiterate but can understand if explained to me. Thanks!!!!

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Here is what your network mode settings should be.  You want the LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)

alexalexalexalex

alexalexalexalex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Don't want to have to buy another phone...

alexalexalexalex

alexalexalexalex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have that option. Not sure why.

alexalexalexalex

alexalexalexalex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

also - what about the phone actually not working. Sometimes there is no signal, but sometimes with a signal is also doesn't work - no calls or messages. However, in Vietnam it always works. I suspect this has something to do with the network and my phone being incompatible?