Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Upgrade or Buy New?

• Please log in to reply

Jvescov1

Jvescov1

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hi, guys so I've recently have decided to get back into a little PC gaming and was hoping to see if my computer is salvageable or has anything of and value anymore the one thing i know i need to upgrade is my OS as i'm still on vista so for starters which version should i upgrade too? and then the hardware is it still relevant. i spent some good dough on this back when i originally built it through dell quite a while back and am not in a position to spend the same amount as before this is the reason for my inquiry any info is greatly appreciated thanks!

Here's the specs i can locate let me know if anything else is needed.

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad Cpu Q6600 @2.4GHz 2.39GHz

RAM: 2.00 GB

Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 610  (My original VC died so i got this as a cheap replacement)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Jvescov1,

Knowing the brand and model name or number of the MB* PSU** and the type of case*** will give us a better idea of any options that you may have but in all honesty such dated technology will have very little to no upgrade path I'm afraid  :(

The CPU has a 1066 MHz FSB so your Ram will either be the same or slower, not good for FPS when gaming.

Once we have the requested information we will know if you have the following upgrade options;

* Upgrading the Ram to 8GB which would allow you to install a 64-bit OS.

** A better video card will need a good quality minimum bronze rated PSU, the computer is a Dell and the present video card (GT 610) requires a minimum of a 300W output PSU so it is possible that the present PSU is only 300W which will reduce your video card upgrade options.

*** The type of case is important as it may also limit your upgrade options, small form factor (SFF) cases for example will often have smaller and different size PSUs and will not have the room for many of the newer add on video cards as some of them are quite large and take up two slots on the MB.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Jvescov1

Jvescov1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

thank you for your response phillpower

mb name: "dell dxp061"

psu model#: L375P-00 (idk if this is useful but Dell P/N: KH624)

Case: im not really sure how to identify it, it is a dell and says xps 410 if that helps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the update

Your CPU is as good as it gets for a quad core in that board, anything faster compatible CPU will have less cores so would pretty much defeat the object, this leaves the possibility of upgrading the Ram, there is conflicting reports about how much Ram that the board will handle as you will see in the Dell thread here to see what is recommended for your board use the Crucial system scanner tool no need to purchase from there, make a note of the details then post them here for us please. 

The PSU is a standard ATX type so will not be a problem to upgrade should you decide on a video card upgrade that requires more power, the GTX 750 for example only requires a 300W PSU and no additional power dongle from the PSU as it is powered from the PCI-E slot on the MB.

The specs for your computer here say that the case is a mid tower, if it is the same case that you have then upgrading the add on video card should also pose no problem but I would ask you to confirm this for yourself by checking that an add on video card that takes up the space of two slots at the back of the case will not interfere with any other hardware such as an add on sound card or modem etc.

You are welcome btw  :)

Jvescov1

Jvescov1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

crucial_logo.png

suggested site content and search history menu
Message DialogDisplay Update Message
icon-compatible.png
desktoppc.gif
Your scanner ID:3024499431D926C3 save my scan |  share my scan
Dell XPS 410 compatible upgrades These upgrades are guaranteed compatible when you order from Crucial.com

Notes about your system:

Although the memory can be installed one module at a time, the best performance comes from using matched pairs of modules.

Your Dell XPS 410 system specs as shipped
icon-memory.png
memory
  • Maximum memory: 4096MB
  • Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.
1GB 
DDR PC2-6400
1GB 
DDR PC2-6400
Empty
Empty

what does this mean?

icon-storage.png
storage
  • Storage: SATA 2 - 3Gb/s
  •  
  •  
    47%
    47% Free (489319034880 Total Storage)

what does this mean?

icon-chipset.png
Chipset
  • Chipset: Intel P965

what does this mean?

icon-video-card.png
video card
  • Graphics card: PCI Express x16
  • External connector: 15-hole connector

what does this mean?

installation guides

crucial awards
bizrate-2013.pngstevie-award-silver.pngstevie-award-bronze.png

we take care of our customers trust-freeship.png trust-freereturns.png trust-freesupport.png trust-tracking.pngicon-cards.png

Compatible Memory
sort

240-pindimm.png

1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.8V 128Meg x 64 CT572995
  • DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •
  • upgrade for Dell XPS 410 system.
  • $14.99
qtyadd to cart

240-pindimm.png

1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.8V 128Meg x 64 CT763561
  • DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •
  • $14.99
qtyadd to cart

Compatible SSDs
sort

mx100-2-5-ssd.png

Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD CT5452614
  • Crucial MX100 256GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5" Internal SSD • 550 MB/s Read / 330 MB/s Write
  • $123.99
qtyadd to cart

mx100-2-5-ssd.png

Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD CT5453110
  • Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 6Gbps 2.5" Internal SSD • 550 MB/s Read, 500 MB/s Write
  • $229.99
out of stock

Yes that is my case! it appears to have plenty of space as its(Graphics Card) the only thing coming through those slots that low in the tower.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

4GB or 8GB of Ram is the one grey area, you could purchase 4 Xs 2GB sticks and try it, if only 4GB is recognised you could return two sticks but looking at that Dell thread if you check and confirm  that the BIOS is version 2.5.3. or later you should have no problem.

Please note that any present 32-bit software that you may have will not be compatible if you upgrade to a 64-bit OS, some may be by way of a custom install but some may not be compatible in any way whatsoever. 

Final check is to run the Windows 8.1 upgrade advisor tool, see here

Jvescov1

Jvescov1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

so it said 59 apps are compatible at the end tho said wasn't downloadable in my country? i'm in US. Also i mean is it even worth it to get these upgrades on this machine or can i just buy a newer machine with comparable hardware for a similar price?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Honest answer is that the final choice is yours to make and we can only offer you some pointers, upgrade or be prepared to pay circa $1000 for a comparable build using the newer technology. 

Jvescov1

Jvescov1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hmm sounds like i have some options thanks to you :) ill just have to decide what is best for me. you've been very helpful and much appreciated! Also i guess just as a outro question how practical is it if i choose to go with the new tech is it to individually buy pieces as money comes to me without out dating the hardware? 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Also i guess just as a outro question how practical is it if i choose to go with the new tech is it to individually buy pieces as money comes to me without out dating the hardware? 

Depends on the timescale involved but if you decide on that approach it would be best to save up enough funds to purchase the following hardware all at the same time;

The case, a MB with an integrated video port, a CPU capable of producing video, the Ram, a storage device (HDD or SSD), a DVD drive and a good quality brand PSU**, this would allow you to use the computer with a free OS such as Linux until the funds are available to purchase an add on video card and a 64-bit version of Windows. 

** I recommend a minimum output of 650W as this will cover most good add on video cards + allow a couple of extra storage devices in the future.

You are welcome btw  :)

Advertisements

Jvescov1

Jvescov1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

alright great info again thanks for all of your knowledge gives me a general understanding that i did not posses a few days ago so i'm very excited to start looking around and seeing what i can come up with.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome  :)

A couple of links for you to look at, PCPARTPICKER where you can compile potential build parts and Logical Increments which will give you an idea of what completed parts lists will cost.

Jvescov1

Jvescov1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

hi phil sorry to drag this out bud but over the last day or so been thinking i could afford about a 2k budget on a new system and was just wondering if i could build and beast computer or if thats just not enough these days for a no doubt a bout it computer when it comes to gaming,streaming, multitasking & possibly some video/photo editing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem Jvescov1, ask as many questions as you need to  :thumbsup:

2K will get you a beast of a machine, let us know what currency we are working with and we can suggest some build options for you.

Jvescov1

Jvescov1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Usd. I do not need a monitor,keyboard or mice.