Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gary Null's Natural Living Pest Site

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

falcongal

falcongal

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm running Windows XP Home edition and use Mozilla Firefox. Every so often when I hit the back or forward arrow buttons it takes me to the Gary Null's Natural Living web site instead of the page that was last (or next). I have never voluntarily visited this web site and have not book marked it or anything. I've run lots of Spybot S&D, AdAware, McAfee, and Microsoft Antispyware scans but every so often it still keeps happening. I have not downloaded the SP2 because of all the horror stories I've read. I'm about as far from a computer expert as you'll be able to find and don't want a problem that I don't know how to deal with (pretty much anything). :tazz:

Any thoughts as to how to get rid of the pesky site without doing huge and major things I don't understand to the computer? This has been going on for a few months. It doesn't seem to be harmful in any way, just annoying. What causes this and how can I get rid of it, short of avoiding the back and forward arrows?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

insipid

insipid

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
We need a closer look at what's going on with your computer. Please download 'HijackThis' from Here .

Unzip HJT to it's own folder such as C:\HijackThis or C:\HJT then double-click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button. Save the log, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or essential, don't fix anything yet

falcongal

falcongal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks, Insipid. The reason I didn't get back to you is that the computer crashed and I couldn't get on line. I ended up getting another one.
I e-mailed the Gary Null webmaster who said this problem was caused by a hacker on their site (pogo) and that bookmarking a page hosted by them might be causing it. I don't remember ever visiting pogo, but they said they have numerous pages and that some have changed hands so it could be a lot of different pages. I e-mailed their tech support and they said they don't help with problems outside of their own software.
Then I found a discussion forum which said this had been happening with people browsing using the 2004 version of Firefox. That's what I'd used. I got rid of any bookmarkes that had been bookmarked since before the problem and after about 5 hours on line I didn't see Gary Null again. Then I ran 5 different scans to be sure the computer was clean and downloaded the XP service pack 2. It crashed the computer and I couldn't even start it up to get into safe mode to do a system restore.
Then I took it into the nearest town to a guy who has an excellent reputation for fixing computers and he really had to work to save my data. There must have been some problems with the computer before, because it didn't let me save anything to a CD or floppy. I tried to save data before downloading the SP2. It would have cost more than my Dell Dimension 2100 (4+ years old) was worth, so he put my data into another computer and put in another (don't remember what it's called) so now I have a D drive too and can back things up to it in case the other one crashes.
The fan on this computer is noisy and I'll be taking it in to be repaired this morning. If I don't get back to you again soon it's because the computer is at the shop.
Thanks for trying to help. :tazz:

insipid

insipid

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Glad we could help. :tazz:

As this issue appears resolved, this topic is closed. If you need it reopened, please contact a staff member.

Edited by insipid, 02 July 2005 - 05:36 PM.