Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Spotify

• Please log in to reply

joecool90

joecool90

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello, I'm trying to use Spotify on my laptop after cleaning my system of a virus. However it blocks me by giving the message: 'Your system administrator has blocked this program. For more information, contact your system administrator.' I tried to uninstall the program (to install it again) but it gave me this message: 'You do not have sufficient access to uninstall Spotify. Please contact your system administrator'. Grateful for any help so I can listen to music again! Thanks.

Advertisements

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Hi there...  I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here... :o

In my closing speech to you in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum, I mention CryptoPrevent.  I'm wondering if you installed this?  I bet you did...

It sounds like CryptoPrevent is protecting you from potential threats there, but I think you can white list certain programs with it, like Spotify, which likes to install in AppData folder for some reason. 

I don't use Spotify on my computer, but thought I'd offer this since I recognized you.  :)

I just tried it myself (I use CryptoPrevent), and it failed with error code 53.  In the CryptoPrevent Menu, look at Alerts > Blocked Apps.  Here's mine:

SpotifyCryptoPrevent_zpsekhypgjp.png

Look in Advanced > Software Restriction Policy Editor and try adding the below-quoted line to your Whitelist as shown below:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\SpWebInst0.exe

CryptoPreventWhitelist_zpsqazzarzx.png

Try installing Spotify again.

I just tested this and it worked for me (without a reboot even).  :D

joecool90

joecool90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Hi Dano, thanks again for your help. I followed your instructions to the letter but Spotify is still giving me the same message, also I'm still unable to uninstall it. Help...?

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Try running CryptoPrevent, remove policies and disable it temporally.  Reboot, and try again. :)

joecool90

joecool90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

That works! Just after i clicked the spotify icon, windows firewall asked me to allow access so I did.

The question is, how to get CryptoPrevent and Spotify working together...?

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

:thumbsup:

Just re-enable CryptoPrevent and I believe it will ask to white list what is already on your system.  

joecool90

joecool90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I re-enabled CrytptoPrevent, restarted the system and it's giving me the same message as in my first email. I wonder if Spotify and Crypto are not meant to be on my laptop :(

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Are you installing or uninstalling?  I didn't have it on my system, but I installed it with the white list line and instructions above... 

joecool90

joecool90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I disabled Crypto, rebooted the system and successfully deleted Spotify. I then turned Crypto back on.

I tried to install Spotify but it gives the error message:

'Spotify could not be started (Error code: 17)'

Any thoughts?

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Maybe try downloading and running the Spotify full installer (34.7MB) instead of their installer stub program (152KB)?

Which one(s) have you tried?

I used the small stub installer, but no issues when I whitelisted it first like mentioned in Post #2.  :)

Advertisements

joecool90

joecool90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I tried both files but get exactly the same message?

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Not sure what to tell you at this point.  Maybe try using the Policy Editor to add a less restrictive white list entry, such as:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\

It should work when white listed, and CryptoPrevent should ask you when it's installed if you want to white list what's already there.  So maybe an Uninstall/Re-Install of CryptoPrevent?

I wish I was able to duplicate your issue. :huh:

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

If you uninstall, I would disable the protection first.

You might also try contacting the developer of CryptoPrevent about Spotify.  There should be a log available under the menu Alerts > Blocked Apps (Event Log):

CryptoPreventBlockedMenu_zps67x3ctn5.png

In the Blocked Events Log, look for the most recent events related to Spotify, and either post a screen shot of each, or you can copy/paste the text under Event Description: here.

SpotifyCryptoPrevent_zpsekhypgjp.png

Also, what level of protection did you apply?  If you applied anything above Default, you may have issues like you are reporting...

CryptoPreventProtectionLevel_zpsfz7lx7md

joecool90

joecool90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I have set to default protection.

I think at this stage I'll contact the Crypto developer for help, otherwise will leave it there.

Thanks for your help again, happy for you to close topic.

DanoNH

DanoNH

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,155 posts

Again, you're more than welcome! :thumbsup:  Instead of closing just yet, I do have a small request

If/when you sort this out with the CryptoPrevent developer, if you would post your solution it would be most appreciated, not just by me, but the community as a whole.  That way, people with a similar problem could search and find a potential answer right here.  :D