Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netgear CM500 Modem to Linksys WRT54G

• Please log in to reply

everythingsm

everythingsm

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I just bought a new Modem (Netgear CM500) to use with a Linksys WRT54G Router... using Win 7 on Desktop and Win 8 on HP Laptop.
When connecting the Modem to the Desktop all is well with Internet. When I remove the cable from the DeskTop to go into the Router (along with adding the cable from the Modem to the router). initially i had the set up working. I unplugged the cable to move the component and now i can not get the router to work and i can only use the Internet when the Router is out of the connection.
I lose internet connection on Desktop and Laptop when trying to use the router. I have removed power from both modem and router in many different ways and rebooted both systems. I cannot access 192.168.1.1 and i have reset the Router. I'm out of ideas.

Please help

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

have you followed the instructions from your ISP to configure the modem and router to work with their connection? with DSL (not sure what connection type you're using) you usually have to change the modem to bridge mode and configure the router to handle the ISP authentication. sometimes you have to do something similar with cable.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

TY for your response.

I have not on this occassion when having issues with my router. I contacted my ISP on another occassion and they told me that since the Router was not their Hardware they could not help me ? I use Time Warner Cable.  I will contact themand see what they say.

Is this why when I include the router I loose all connection to the Internet ? My ISP need to help me ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

well, if the router/modem arent' configured correctly it could be the cause. they likely have a manual/tutorial on how to configure the devices to work.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Well looks like I'm on my own.

TimeWarner said the NEw MOdem is working and I had to contact Linksys. Linksys said they have removed all software pages for this modem 1 to 2 years ago. They were going to charge me $30 for an attempt at getting this router going or apply the $30 with another $100 off towards NEW router. All was working well. Had to buy MOdem to stop getting charge for TWarner modem now i have Router charges ?

Any ideas ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

what is the purpose of the router? connecting multiple computers by Ethernet or to provide wireless connections?

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I do not uderstand your response ? can you help me ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i'm asking why you're using the router, it is just to get more Ethernet ports, or is it for the wireless?

that router is exceptionally old and not supported by Linksys anymore.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Oh.. yeah Linksys told me. i'm trying to connect Laptop, PS2, Tablet. Everyone keeps telling me it's OLD ... but it worked for me. I need this one working right now and can get another later. Do you think there may be a compatibility problem with these two pieces of hardware ? is there a way to get this set up without the linksys website ?

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

desennete I've spent 5 + hrs on this and actually had it working the first try.. then i moved the router. If you can give me any suggestions for now great.

2nd could you suggest a good matc/Routerh to the CM500 Modem ? I usually go to Frys CA.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

what does "moved the router" entail?  is the WAN/internet port of the router still plugged in to the port on the modem? is the power still on?

it's not a compatibility issue. the modem should have no problems with the router, assuming the router is on the default configuration (I've checked the manuals). the default setup should work without issue.

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Thanks for your help.

Moved router ... Rebooted MOdem (waited for all lights) connected router to modem via Ethernet cable, powered on router.. waited for lights then connected computer. All was great even sent email from laptop. then i had some wires tangled so i dissconnected the power to the router and maybe ethernet cable... since then hrs with no good results. i've also reset the router mutilpe times.. so My old setting are gone.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Rebooted MOdem (waited for all lights) connected router to modem via Ethernet 
cable, powered on router.. waited for lights then connected computer

have you recreated all of those steps?

everythingsm

everythingsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Absolutely.... with those and other orders of setting to try and make this work up. Just did it one more time before this post.

I just don't get it ? still contiue to think on this  but can you refer a another router to match with my new modem. If I do not get this set up today I guess i'm out of options and must buy a new router (which I don't want to do) ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

when your computer is plugged in to the router are you getting an IP address (start, type command, open command prompt, type ipconfig /all)? is it something like 192.168.1.something?

there's a chance the router is going bad.

how are you resetting the router?