Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very high seek time (up to 300) even after changing the HDD

seek time

• Please log in to reply

plmdmd

plmdmd

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hey,  since a few months, every now and then my computer will hang for 10-30 seconds before I can continue working. I thought at first it was a problem with windows so I formatted the drive and reinstalled windows from scratch. The problem continued. I just installed some monitoring software and saw that the HDD seek time is very high (between 50 and 300). I thought that the hard drive was failing and cloned the content to another HDD which I used to replace the first one. Same thing is happening. What else might make the HDD seek time to go so high? Note that I did not change anything else in term of hardware in the last 2 years and it was working perfectly fine 6 months ago.. Some piece of hardware may have a problem but I am now at lost trying to figure our what.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

You might try replacing the drive cable. Also, you might want to check to see if there were any updates installed which might have had an effect.

I had an issue with a "green" drive quite some time ago where it would stall like that. I hear that had been fixed, but I stopped using them for a system drive.

plmdmd

plmdmd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Could it be because of something else like toasted chip on the motherboard or would it then fail completely instead?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I doubt that it would be a motherboard issue. You might try running the test program from the manufacturer.