Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting problems (not malware related)

• Please log in to reply

Pufi

Pufi

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hi guys!
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, if I do so, please move it to the right one.
My main OS is Windows 7, but yesterday I installed Windows 10 Insider Preview so I can dual boot. But something went wrong, I think the image was corrupt, because windows was not booting anymore. And neither was Windows 7. Both were stuck at the booting screen. So I inserted my Windows 7 install and I deleted the windows 10 partition, but 7 was still not booting. I ran startup repair, no luck. Ran a command prompt window and tried to import my registry backup, because I think that the registry is causing all the errors, but it failed, telling me that registry could not be accesed. So on that blank partition left by Windows 10 I installed another copy of Windows 7, which I succesfully booted into. I tried importing the backup now, same error. And nothing else worked. Cmd, Internet Explorer, all were exiting with an error, something about the side-by-side configuration being incorrect. So I rebooted and this time I couldn't even enter it, saying something like "Interactive logon failed".
Can you please help me?

EDIT: Nevermind, I solved it. Booted into the repair your computer mode, ran a chkdsk and then bootrec.exe /fixboot and /fixmbr

EDIT 2: At boot, I still have to choose between two Windows 7 options, although I deleted the other partition. So I still need help :D

Edited by Pufi, 10 June 2015 - 09:13 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Read here: How to Use the BCDEDIT Command Line Tool