Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

For people who downloaded VCODEC

• Please log in to reply

CaptainHampsterPants

CaptainHampsterPants

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This post is or all you people who downloaded vcodec thinking that it was an update for your regular codec driver, and who were also just like me afterwards.....thinking you totally ruinded your computer. But there is great news, the removal is very simple. If your problems were like mine, and you were unable to work with your computer long before it completely froze, do these few quick and easy steps. Also I am using Windows XP, I am not sure how it will work for other operating systems.

Steps:

1. Hit Ctrl, Alt, and Delete to bring up the task manager.

2. In the top left corner of your task manager you will see a "File" button. Click on it.

3. Next you will be given the "New Task(Run...)" button. Click on it.

4. Now a dialogue box called "Create New Task" will pop up. In its text box type
msconfig. This will bring up your system configuration.

5. Now your "System Configuration Utility" box will open. Towards the bottom you will see a "Launch System Restore" button above the "OK" button. Click on it.

6. Now you will be prompted with the System Restore options. Click on the "Restore my computer to an earlier time" button. Then at the bottom of the screen click the "Next" button.

7. You should now be prompted with a calendar where some of the dates are in bold print. Click on one that you would like to restore your system to. (I clicked on a date that was two days prior to the event just to be safe.) After you have selected your date, again click the "Next" button at the bottom of your screen.

8. Now a "Confim Restore Point Selection" box will appear basically telling you to save any information from current work. Just so you know this process is reversible. At this point you probably are not able to do any thing else anyway, so now, again, and for the last time click the "Next" button at the bottom of the screen.

9. Now the restoration process will begin. It will take a few minutes, so sit back and relax as it will take you back to a time when none of this ever happened. When complete, Windows will load up again to itself how ever long ago you chose...thus erasing any download or problem you contracted from the download of VCODEC

10. The last step is just a safety step. If you have any antivirus software, or any anti-spyware programs you can run it would be good to give your computer a scan just to make sure you are all clean.

Well there are your ten easy steps to ridding yourself of the VCODEC download. This worked for me like charm, and I am up and running smooth like nothing ever happened. I hope this information was helpful! :tazz:

Edited by CaptainHampsterPants, 13 June 2005 - 09:04 PM.

Advertisements