Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card or monitor?

• Please log in to reply

RoninBlue

RoninBlue

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So this is driving me batty.

I've got a laptop (Dell Latitude E5440) - only a couple months old - and a brand new monitor (Dell P2214H) which was supposed to replace a dying monitor (AOC something) due to numerous artifacts showing up on the external monitor including:

- Colorful snow/dots/static
- Horizontal lines alone, then eventually bisected by vertical lines creating an eyesore and mess of static (but the display was still showing open documents, email, etc. underneath that)
- Now the display is intermittent with the monitor going into sleep mode when it believes it has no signal
- When the monitor does wake up/receive a signal intermittenly, the I get a party of a display with the above mentioned snow/static/horizontal/vertical lines

I'm fairly certain the issue is neither the cable (tried VGA and DisplayPort) nor the monitors (Dell and AOC) nor docking station (plugged the VGA directly into the laptop and docking station; plugged the DisplayPort into the docking station/laptip does not have DisplayPort port). I've extended the display and duplicated the display - still intermittent. In addition, I now have a small rectangle that sits at the forefront of my desktop before every window or application on my main display (laptop). I can capture screenshots of the rectangle but not the snow/static/lines. I have more than enough RAM and processing power for the system - the external display/laptop combo was working fine for months before the external display started having issues.

I've tried the following:

- Changed resolutions
- Updated drivers
- Rolled back drivers
- Updated Windows/rebooted
- Ran the dxdiag tool for kicks
- Tried a memory test with Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to no result

Thoughts?

Advertisements