Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me upgrade my graphics card and power (Resolved)

Best Answer quin8484 , 12 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

Sorry for the long delay guys. This weekend I did get a chance to open the box and install the card. I did your suggested step by step advice on the DDU program.The only minor problems (if they wer... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

quin8484

quin8484

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hello G2G, Can someone help me upgrade my graphics card and possibly power supply?

My current graphics card is a G-Force GT220 and would like to get something better maybe $100-$200 range from Nvidia.

Also if it does require a different power supply than my current, I will buy that as well.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Dell here is my speccy if it helps?

Attached Thumbnails

• speccy.png
  • si.png

Edited by quin8484, 13 June 2015 - 10:02 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday quin8484.

Thanks for the specs, but we do need a little more info  so we can tell what PSU is installed.   If it is only a 300W, this will limit the GPU upgrade.   Please give the model number, i.e. (Inspiration (546/546s), or the brand/model of the PSU. 

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hello. Just looked,  PSU is Bestec 160W max.

ATX-0300D5WB   REV A00

I will certainly upgrade the PSU. But I'm an not sure which ones would fit or work with the new card

Inspiron 546 (not slim)

There is quit a lot of room inside my cpu.

Edited by quin8484, 13 June 2015 - 06:23 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It look to me like a 300W PSU and you are reading the max combined output form the 5.0v + 3.3v rails.

If this is the supply, > http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item2ee2789286 ?

you could upgrade the GPU to a GTX 750 ti,aprox $170, without changing the PSU as the card draws power only from the PCI.e x 16 slot.  

Next step up would be the GTX 960, aprox $190, but would require a PSU upgrade, if we can find one to fit.

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Yes sorry 300w max..  the GTX 750ti is what I was looking at as well. If I don't upgrade my psu and get the GTX 750i, it would work without problems even with a low 300w psu? Would running a card on miminum psu, would cause any heat or slowdown troubles? May run some high end games.

Also would my current psu have all the cables to get it working ok?

http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

Also I would need some kind of HDMI adapter to go to my pc screen because I'll I have is blue vga cord.

So looks like i may need a male to male HDMI for monitor?

edit: looks like a mini hdmi?

Edited by quin8484, 13 June 2015 - 08:24 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

Hope you don't mind the interjection folks  :)

Bestec PSUs should be called Worstec and tbh I would upgrade nothing without also swapping in a good quality brand, minimum of bronze rated PSU

The GTX 750Ti and the GTX 960 are both 128-bit so level pegging there but the GTX 960 is available in faster variants so is one up there, however, due to the Ram being DDR2 that will run at a max of 800MHz there is a potential bottleneck with any newer and much faster add on video card, with this in mind I would suggest sticking with a less expensive GTX 750Ti such as this while also replacing the present junk PSU with one such as this or this

Edit to add;

Your case may be the MT size but the MB is still the smaller micro ATX type, it is most important that you check and confirm for yourself that there is adequate room for any new video card inside of the case/MB, many new cards are large and take up the space of two slots on the MB and at the rear of the case.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If I don't upgrade my psu and get the GTX 750i, it would work without problems even with a low 300w psu? Would running a card on miminum psu, would cause any heat or slowdown troubles? May run some high end games.

Also would my current psu have all the cables to get it working ok?

As Phillpower2 observed, your PSU is not the best but would work,  I estimate the entire system, including the new GPU, will not draw more than 205w. No extra cables are required, just install in the PCI-e slot,   I agree though that you should upgrade,   A final check for dimension needs to be done.   The present PSU  is 3.35" x 5.91" x 5.51"???

We both picked the same card. http://www.newegg.co...487-028:$$$$$$$

They both come with a DVI-I (out) to VGA (in) cable, so you can try that first, then see if you want to use a HDMI to HDMI one.

A new card and a PSU, with the rebates will still be under your budget.

:wave: Phillpower2, Thanks for the input.   Must be nearly time for a garden beer before Sunday lunch. 

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

here is the bottom of my cpu, you can see my gforce gt220 already in the slot. It would cover one other pci slot and hopefully clear that other motherboard heatsink below it. Teh fan would be providing poor airflow facing down but I guess they are all like that.

So the new card just plugs right into the PCI express x16 slot? Black, not the two whites?

Attached Thumbnails

• bottom.png
  • psu.png
  • expan.png
  • dumb.png
  • tight.png

Edited by quin8484, 14 June 2015 - 10:53 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

The card should clear the heatsink and OK to cover the PCI slot.   

Yes, plugs into the black slot, after removing the rear slot cover next to the open one.   Sometimes the bottom end of the cover is part of the case.   It will not just lift out after undoing the fastener screw, you need to gently wiggle it about to break it off. 

RE heat.   The GT output, under full load, is about 70C, and all dumped into the case.

The GTX is about 50C and some vented out of the case, so cooling should be OK.

Can you measure the width of the PSU please?   Is it very tight in the supporting rails?

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

psu is about 5 1/2 inches long by 4 inches wide. I have a ton of room for a new psu in case, if I want to order that as well.

Edited by quin8484, 14 June 2015 - 05:34 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Please check your measurements again.   the Bestec Dell ATX0300D5WB XW600 0XW600 300W Power Supply REV:A00  is shown as,

• ATX Form Factor
  • 6.00" Wide X 3.25" Tall X 5.5 " Deep

psu is about 5 1/2 inches long by 4 inches wide

If it is 4" wide, then a standard ATX PSU will not fit. 

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

^ yes you are right, it matches with what you have posted.

Edited by quin8484, 14 June 2015 - 10:31 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good.

You will need the EVGA 500 B 80 as that will fit, > http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

The Corsair is 6.3" wide, so may not fit. 

There can be issues when upgrading a video card.   The existing drivers should be removed as they sometimes create problems when the new divers are installed.    this is how how proceed.

Create a Restore Point. 

Download DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to the desktop, please read the page, > http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

Restart the computer in Safe Mode. \\> run  DDU from the Desktop, > select the Clean and Shutdown box, then run DDU. > after shutdown switch off the PSU, > replace the existing video card and connect to the display.  > Restart the computer.

If the Found New Hardware Wizard starts, shut it down, > Your screen will look strange until you install the new drivers, but this is normal.

> Run the driver/utilities disc that came with the GPU. > install the new video package. 

When the computer restarts, > follow the setup Wizard. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

No need for me to say anything further  :)  :thumbsup:

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Thank you both tremendously. I will let you know how it works out.