Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Wifi since getting new Notebook

Best Answer REJ , 18 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Ya wasn't me after all, split line down the road.You have been amazing as usual. Can't wait to see your future! Thanks so much - REJ Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

REJ

REJ

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

I got this Pavilion dm4-1060us entertainment notebook last week. Since then my speed on speedtest.net is around 0.70 down and everything buffers. Anyone know a way to ensure nothing else is using all the bandwidth on this and to ensure I am configured right?

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi again Robert :)

Can you start by telling me what plan you have with your ISP? What download and upload speeds are you supposed to get?

REJ

REJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi again Robert :)

Can you start by telling me what plan you have with your ISP? What download and upload speeds are you supposed to get?

Yup, I actually know that answer, somewhere LOL. Let me text the lady who collected that information just two days ago for me. I will reply again as soon as I know. Thanks

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem :) Meanwhile, can you run a test on SpeedTest.net and post the results here? Also, are you on a 2.4GHz or 5GHz bandwidth for the WiFi?

REJ

REJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Gathering requested information now. Wish me luck!

REJ

REJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Supposed to get 3 down and got 0.72 as of this morning. Was just told we are rebooting the entire house, will brb

REJ

REJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Just got off the phone with ATT, ask me which company on this planet installed a new customer four doors down and split my line... Go ahead you can ask :) I am holding this topic until tomorrow after noon if that is ok? They will be here between 8 and noon.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
That's good with me :) And you are supposed to get around 3 download and 1 upload, is that right? So if you're on the WiFi, you'll get a bit less than that since you lose speed compared to a wired connection.

REJ

REJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Well i am getting 0.82  lol They are coming back again today Thanks for your patience

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem :)

Advertisements

REJ

REJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I have not committed murder, no matter what that lying DA says in the future. ATT says its my fault because "The problem is your computer is set on 100 mb. Needs to be on auto config."  But nobody told me where this would be so I could see if its the truth or not... Help ??

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Did they tell you where that setting is supposed to be changed?

REJ

REJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Nope

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Can you call them back and ask where that setting is or at least what they are referring to? Because it could be anywhere to be honest. If they cannot tell you, it's because they are just making excuses.

Edited by Aura, 17 June 2015 - 12:43 PM.

REJ

REJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I was afraid  you would say that.