Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cdr/rw not detected by bios or windows me

• Please log in to reply

sha_Kai

sha_Kai

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
A couple days ago, while trying to burn a data cd, the burning utility (Nero) stopped responding, and when I tried to open the cd door, the 'active' light flashed red.

After restarting the computer, the the drive's green 'active' light flashes constantly and the drive is not detected by the bios or windows.

I've shut down, turned off & restarted the computer; verified that the cd powersupply is connected, and still nothing happens.

Is there anything to do besides install a new drive?

Advertisements

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have had the same problem! There are a few things that can cause this. 1. You broke a pin on the cd rom so now the read is bad to the ide cable. 2. Power supply is insufficient (not likely your problem but possible). 3.The cdrom has alot of dust on the lazer head or the calibration of the head has been messed up (This was my case)

My finally conclusion was to buy a new cdrom because they are so cheap and cost roughly 50$+ at most places to recalibrate, but with all said you should check the possible pin problem out cause replacing pins is easy, and try one of those cleaners cd's. if that fails just buy a new one.

INSTALL A NEW DRIVE

sha_Kai

sha_Kai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I suppose I should replace it...

Note that I got a 'good deal' on this one because it was used. Let the buyer beware, eh?

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
If i could say one thing from my experience with the liteon company is that anything with there name on it, is junk!

oldDOSguy

oldDOSguy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
WAIT!

don't go buy a new one yet! your checksum is messed up!

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/

download EEPROM tool.