Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 98 SE re-installation

• Please log in to reply

bake23

bake23

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello to all. I have an old CTX computer that was given to me. It was running on Windows 98 SE. Only specs I know is that it has a 4 Gig Hard Drive, 128 megs of RAM. I reformatted the drive because window did not start up. It would go through boot up and after that would it would just stall with a black screen and the hour glass pointer in the middle of the screen. After reformatting the drive, it now will only boot up with the Windows 98 cd in the CD-Rom drive and only in Safe Mode. If I try booting it up on Normal Mode a message appears saying:
Windows

A fatal exception OD has occurred at 046F:0002AB4. The current
application will be terminated.
* Press any key to terminate the current application

Then back to Safe Mode. I ran ScanDisk and no errors were found on the folders and Surface test. Don't know what else to do. Please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 key until you get options, select command prompt only, if you get this, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, when it says registry repaired, press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot, see if it will load normal

bake23

bake23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey Keith,

Did as you said and still receiving same message.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you aren't very far in, having just formatted the drive, you could format it again, and hope for a better result.

You can run system file checker, but if any files are missing, you won't get the CD ROM drive to run in safe mode