Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Players Freeze

• Please log in to reply

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Here I go Again

None of my media players will work. When I double click a song/video file, Windows Media Player/Media Player Classic will show, but nothing will play. It eventually just stops responding and freezes, along with my computer. I also tried opening Media Player Classic/Windows Media Player and tried to open the file from within them, but they still freeze up.

I even tried to run dxdiag, but that froze as well. DxDiag said it had a problen with DirectSound and DirectMusic.....whatever that means?!?! I unistalled and reinstalled the players, along with all the codec and divx stuff I had before..and again...nothing.

I think the problem might have happened when I tried to install a Logitech Webcam...which didn't finish sucessfully because of some missing file/couldn't be found. But, before I found out about the media players freezin problem...I had MusicMatch JukeBox and double clicked a song, and it played fine..no freezin at all....but i already had the other two players and decided to unistall it...then when I went to play files in the other two players...Freeze City.

I have Windows 98 SE with 160.0MB Ram.

Thanx Mell
:tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disk defragmenter

Get Tune Up Trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which will take a while and requires a reboot

Run Tune Up, optimize, system optimizer to run optimize computer configuration, which needs a reboot.

Run Tune Up, optimize, system optimize to run internet optimization, which needs a reboot.

Run Tune Up, optimize, system optimizer to run system advisor.

These steps will place the file system in order, remove obsolete registry entries and clear the system of software errors.

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey Keith..nice to see you again ;)

I did everything you mentioned and the media players still freeze up when trying to play a music/video file.

I installed MusicMatch Jukebox back to see if that freezes too...and nope. MusicMatch Jukebox works perfectly. Even when I double ckick a file, it opens in it and plays fine.

So the problem definitly has something to do with Windows Media Player 9 and Media Player Classic themselves.

Mell
:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Mell,

Perhaps if you uninstall Media player in add / remove, run tune up disc cleaner then registry cleaner then download it again.

Tune Up will have made sure it isn't an invalid registry error or obsolete file, so let's hope it was always a damaged installation of Media player, or tied in to the Hijack This log

Keith

Edited by Keith, 15 June 2005 - 11:31 AM.

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi Keith and anyone else reading this! ;)

I tried that 3 times...and they still freeze. I now know for sure that installing Logitech QuickCam Communicatoins STX messed up my media players because it happened right after I tried to install the webcam software. It didnt fully finish because it had an error. The webcam has a built-in audio with Directx files on the cd. Do you think that maybe the files are still on my computer somewhere preventing my media players from working. Right now, all the media players, codecs/divx/ffdshow and directx is unistalled from my computer.

Any more sugestions :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with control panel, sounds speech audio, sounds and audio, then look at the audio and voice tabs to check the webcam has not set itself as the default player

fatray

fatray

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the exact same problem, none of my media files will play and freeze my system to a crawl.
I am unable to play any mpg and avi files that I downloaded from [bleep] sights "DeluxePass". Yes [bleep]! I am able to play AVI files from my camera and ones I made with Auto Gordon Knot. Only my much loved [bleep] will not play. They played PERFECT untill the latest security update from Microsoft. I would say that is what did it.
Is this about the same time your files stopped working?

Need a fix, tried the latest update from K-Lite Mega Codec Pack with same results.

LadyPisces

LadyPisces

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Naw...mines was because of that logitech quickcam...which i'm never installing again..,I tried many sites to help me, but no luck..I ended up just reinstalling my c: drive. Everything works fine now.

fatray

fatray

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yea thats what I will do if I can't find a fix. The longest I ever went with out doing a clean install is 8 months. This time will be 2 months. Allways because something is screwed up.