Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad motherboard? How to tell?

• Please log in to reply

sonepoxy2015

sonepoxy2015

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Anything I can do at home to tell which component is bad? Does it sound like the motherboard? How can I test it?

HP Pavilion p7-1420t PC
Foxconn HP-Joshua-H-JOSHUA-H61-uATX
Intel Core i5-3330 3.0G 6M 77W CPU
6GB DDR3-1600 DIMM (4+2) RAM
Intel HD Graphics (Sandy Bridge)
Window 8.1 64-bit
purchased 12/12

My 12-yr old son reported that computer would not start while I was traveling last week. The computer is shut down every night. Last Wednesday, a black screen with blue HP logo was as far as it would get during startup. I looked at it today. The computer powers up and the hard drive spins for about 1 second with the yellow hard drive light illuminated then fading. No beeps. The fans continue to run. The wired keyboard does not seem to have power as no key lock lights illuminate. I tried all USB ports. I tried start up with the F2, F8 F12, delete and esc keys pressed independtly and together, anyway, with no effect. I also tried a wireless keyboard in all USB ports with no effect either. The keybords work when attached to a laptop. The HP logo comes up instantly as the computer is powered up but that is the extent of the startup. The monitor is a lenovo so its not the monitor screen. I have also pulled and reset the RAM and removed and replaced the BIOS battery. USB ports not hot. This computer has given us no problems other than being Win 8 OS...lol. It has never blue screened. I have Norton 360 which runs every 3 days because of the kids using it while I travel and I run Windows Defender once monthly. There is no recent history of viruses or any application or other downloads or any external/internal component additions recently. All significant software is up to date. Spent 2 hours with HP and got no help.

Thank you! 

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Did you try to start the computer with the HDD disconnect both the power and Sata cable?

If you start the computer without memory installed does it beeps?

Also try to clear the CMOS Settings.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

It could be the power supply. You can get a power supply tester. Power is always the first thing that should be checked, but often isn't.