Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Tune-Up & Protection Software

• Please log in to reply

Nedviles

Nedviles

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hello!

This is my first Windows question here in the forums.

Do you know a tool I can use to perform a PC Tune-Up?

If you subscribe to Microsoft's Assure Plan, they have an internal tool to perform it, however, I don't want to subscribe to any plans.

Do you know a good protection software?

We also need an email client for our small team (2-3 employees). We provide OS X support on our Twitter page, and in some cases we need to email our customers (even if we're a small team, it should still be a "professional" email client).

Appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Nedviles

- new user on Geeks to Go forum

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi Nedviles :)

"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:
  • Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (in-built);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry (in-built);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (in-built), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller have a portable version you can use;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: Procexp (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair Hard Drive issues: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (in-built);
Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:

Nedviles

Nedviles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi @Aura!

I understand. Thanks for explaining!

So what can I do to tune up the PC?

- Do you know a good protection software?

- We also need an email client for our small team (2-3 employees). We provide OS X support on our Twitter page, and in some cases we need to email our customers (even if we're a small team, it should still be a "professional" email client).

p.s: a Microsoft agent recommend AVG TuneUp or Large Software PC Tune-Up. These won't work right?

Thanks again!

Edited by Nedviles, 18 June 2015 - 06:24 AM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
The best way to "tune up" a computer is to take care of it:
  • Keep the OS updated (Windows Updates);
  • Keep the software installed on it updated;
  • Do not install useless programs or "one time use" program that you'll leave there after;
  • Uninstall the programs you don't need;
  • Clean the temp files, web cache, etc. weekly;
  • Do an Antivirus and Antimalware scan weekly (which also mean, have a good, active protection on the system);
  • If the computer have a problem/issue, solve it right away. Don't leave it there as it can become worse;
  • Disable the third-party programs, services, etc. on start-up that you don't need;
  • Etc.
All of this will contribute to the well-being of a system.

As for a good protection software, what are you looking for exactly?
  • Paid or free products?
  • Regular Antivirus or Internet Security suite (these are paid)?
  • What are the specs of the computer(s) on which you'll install the Antivirus?
  • What are the computers where the Antivirus will be installed on used for? Gaming, downloading, streaming, etc.;
An e-mail client, POP3? Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird will do just fine for 2-3 people.

And I wouldn't listen to what these "Microsoft Agents" recommends. Most front-end "agents" don't know a lot or what's right and what's wrong.

Nedviles

Nedviles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi again @Aura!

How can I do this?

Hmm... The specs? 4GB RAM.

It would be good if the protection software was free.

I'll play games, download stuff, and Watch YouTube videos.

Which one is best? (Thunderbird or Outlook? The price doesn't matter since I have a TechNet subscription)

Thanks!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
How can you do what? The steps I listed above to maintain your system?

With 4GB of RAM and a free product, I would go with either avast! or Avira. And Thunderbird is free, but Outlook might be more userfriendly (if you ever used it in the past).

Nedviles

Nedviles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Yes.

Well, I have 4GB RAM installed but it says only 2GB can be used.

Which one, Avira or Avast! ?

I guess you're referring to the free edition.

Nedviles

Nedviles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

and what firewall should I use?

also, shall I use an anti-malware software or MVP hosts file too?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Do you have Windows 32 or 64-bit? As for your firewall, you can use the Windows Firewall if you don't want to cluster your system with more programs.

Why You Don’t Need to Install a Third-Party Firewall (And When You Do)
5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls

And you can use Malwarebytes Antimalware, yes. You can also use the MVPS Hosts file.

Nedviles

Nedviles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hello!

Windows 64-bit

Would you recommend me to use MBAM and MVP Hosts file?

If you say yes, shall I use the free edition?

And which one would you recommend, Avira, or Avast?

EDIT: Are you an MVP?

Edited by Nedviles, 18 June 2015 - 01:05 PM.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I recommend you to use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I don't use MVPS Host file, but it's a good addition to a security setup. The choice is yours. The free version of Malwarebytes is enough, however the paid one is totally worth it.

My personal favorite is avast!, but the choice once again is yours between avast! and Avira.

And no, I'm not a Microsoft MVP.

Nedviles

Nedviles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Do I need to set the AV to ingore MBAM?

Or something?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No you don't. Both avast! and Avira are compatible with Malwarebytes and will work along just fine.

Nedviles

Nedviles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

so I should not use the built-in firewall in Avira? what would you recommend?

Nedviles

Nedviles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

and should I install Avira Browser Safety?