Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is better?

• Please log in to reply

ShuNAm

ShuNAm

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am building a Custom Gaming PC

AMD FX - 6300

16 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE  RAM

4 GB ZOTAC NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 GPU
MSI 970 MOTHERBOARD

All I wanted to ask was, the motherboard has 4 RAM Slots and I want to buy 16 GB of Ram, so should I buy it as 4 x 4 GB Sticks or 2 x 8 GB Sticks?
Also, when all this is done. I've got an SSD. Can I first put the SSD in while booting for the first time and install the OS via my Pendrive and later on put the HDD after the OS is done installing?

Edited by ShuNAm, 19 June 2015 - 06:28 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    ShuNAm,

Some more thought needs to go into your list of parts, this is not a criticism just trying to make sure that things go right for you.

The MB and the CPU are compatible.

For gaming you do not need or would use 16GB of Ram, 2 Xs 4GB of 1600MHz Ram is all that you need.

There is no such video card as a Zotac 4GB GT 610, see full list here there are fake video cards in circulation so post a link to the one that you were considering so that we can take a look.

I've got an SSD. Can I first put the SSD in while booting for the first time and install the OS via my Pendrive and later on put the HDD after the OS is done installing?

Yes you can but be sure that the SSD has at least a 120GB storage capacity, this will allow for the many Windows updates that will be released in future years.

NB: A good quality brand PSU with an adequate power output is a must BTW.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.