Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen flickering issues

• Please log in to reply

jaffacake

jaffacake

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi,
I need help with repairing my laptop (ASUS UX302L). I just bought it used on ebay, and the screen is flickering. It's like there are horizontal lines appearing on the screen. I attached a picture (it's hard to see though).  Sometimes it's as if a shadow of the image on the screen moves up and down. Sometimes the flickering is not there at all, and sometimes it's so bad I can't really work. I noticed that the flickering gets worse when I do things, for example every time I open the browser. I just started running Memtest on it, and the screen is now flickering very wildly, doesn't even stop. The second image shows that - the flower is ducplicated (and the duplicate moves up and down).

I've installed all updates and updated the graphics driver. The flickering was there before I even set up Windows.

I don't know if it was dropped during shipping, but it was well packaged. The ASUS customer service says that the connector between the motherboard and the screen could be damaged. Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be? Can I repair it myself? (It's out of warranty.)
I would really appreciate your help!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1060811.JPG
  • P1060813.JPG

Edited by jaffacake, 19 June 2015 - 08:32 PM.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

sorry wrong post

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

This is what you may be up against, not the identical model, but your connection is probably similar.

jaffacake

jaffacake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Hi, thank you! It doesn't look like in the video though. Nothing changes when I move or press or shake the screen.

Is it possible that it's a RAM issue? Memtest has detected an error ("Copying between 44a3508 and 44a34d0 did not result in accurate copy." - and other similar ones). If so, wouldn't that explain why the flickering is worse when I start new software, and especially bad when Memtest was running?

Edited by jaffacake, 19 June 2015 - 11:38 PM.

Natalie Green

Natalie Green

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Check out this video hope it will hep you out.

flickering issue

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts

Hello,

I don't think it's a ram issue, although if you're failing ram tests then the most logical thing to do there is replace the ram.

Also;

Asus Laptops have quite a history of screen flicker problems related to connection issues, motherboards and even the LCD screen itself.

Google Asus Screen flicker and look at the results.

If this were me I'd replace the ram because ram (Memory)  failure can cause a host of other issues and perhaps it may cure the flicker issue, if not then you would have to think about other causes such as the motherboard, the screen itself. You can use the results from Google to help you proceed.

Others may chime in too.

Joe