Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Diagnosis Test Made My Comp Run Better But It's Starting to Have

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Well first off I know very little about computers. It takes me 4 restarts that I have to use the Power button before my comp will go into Windows where I can actually use the computer. Otherwise its just frozen, sometimes with a blank screen, sometimes with a loading bar under the Dell logo that won't load all the way to the end of the bar. When I do get into the computer where I can use it, I've seen a small window that pops up saying Windows had problem turning on. 

My question is, do I have problems with both hardware and software? I called Dell and they told me to press F12 and run a 30 minute diagnosis. The test said no problem with hardware, and my computer did run a little better for two days, but now is getting worse again. What do I do? Do I also clean the fan?

I don't have virus in my comp, I already backed up all my files and I did a system restore to an earlier date but the earliest date available was still after the time my computer has a lot of problem. 

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,686 posts

:welcome:   dciree,

When you say "restarts" do you mean turning off the power to the computer completely and then turning it back on again or do you mean something else, please explain a little more for us.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.