Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with buying decision

buying purchasing

• Please log in to reply

griffo48

griffo48

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi. My partner who is not tech savvy wants to buy a laptop that will fill the following fairly simple needs:

• Slim lightweight and portable (She travels frequently)
  • Easier to see than the 10" netbook she currently uses (She's not as young as she once was!)
  • She will check emails and do basic web browsing
  • She does presentations so it needs to connect to a variety of data projectors (The netbook doesn't seem to be robust enough to cope with long presentations connected to a projector)
  • Basically a very unsophisticated user...no gaming or anything of that sort
  • A pc rather than Mac

There is a bewildering array of choice and while I'm comfortable around pc's I really don't know where to start what with Chromebooks, hybrids, workstations, ultrabooks. It doesn't need a huge storage capacity or a lot of grunt. Would be very appreciative of guidance.

Brian

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   griffo48,

For the intended use I would suggest a notebook that has a 15`6" screen, a good processor, 8GB of Ram and possibly an SSD as opposed to a mechanical HDD, this will provide a good sized display for your partner, the SSD will boot up and access data quicker than a standard HDD.

Can you tell us in which country you will be making the purchase + your maximum budget please.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

griffo48

griffo48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

:welcome:   griffo48,

For the intended use I would suggest a notebook that has a 15`6" screen, a good processor, 8GB of Ram and possibly an SSD as opposed to a mechanical HDD, this will provide a good sized display for your partner, the SSD will boot up and access data quicker than a standard HDD.

Can you tell us in which country you will be making the purchase + your maximum budget please.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Will be purchasing in Australia. Budget is flexible but would hopefully be around $AU1000

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

HP Notebook - 15-R224TX  no SSD but covers everything else.

griffo48

griffo48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

HP Notebook - 15-R224TX  no SSD but covers everything else.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I shall look at your suggestion and make a decision from there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Let us know what you decide and any more questions along the way please ask.