Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

5 Year Old PC Upgrading

• Please log in to reply

Novatic

Novatic

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am working with a 5 year old HP Pavilion P7-1414 Desktop and just now was able to get some money to upgrade to a decent gaming part of it.

My concerns are I am not very familiar with Power supplies as well as RAM vendors that are reliable and safe to use.

Specifications I am looking for:

The Video card I am looking to install is:

Option 1: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0

Option 2: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0

(IF anyone has any recommendations on which or a better Valued Card I am open to ideas, Limited budget)

Both require a larger power supply than the system has on hand which is a 300w PS. I need a minimum of 350w with a PCIe x16 compatible link and is an ATX type.

Question here is if anyone happens to know a decent PS that is ATX type with reliability, affordability, and fits with in the dimensions of 5.9"W x 3.4"H x 5.51"L.

Next follows up on a RAM dilemma~

The current system has 6 GB RAM but with Windows 8.1 its only giving my system 3.4GB (Including Onboard ATI HD 7650 Intergraded Graphics Card)

The system is capable of handling up to 32GB but I don't need that much at the time.

The RAM type needed are:

Option 1: PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

Option 2: PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)

Option 3: PC3-14400 (DDR3-1866)

Does anyone know where I might get a great deal on 8 GB RAM types of these?

Any additional advice is welcomed and if more specifications of my system are needed I would be glad to help. I am semi tech savvy so should be easier to work with~

Thank you greatly.

Advertisements

Natalie Green

Natalie Green

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

ram are almost same so go for anyone but in case of graphic card install the 4 GB 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

The current system has 6 GB RAM but with Windows 8.1 its only giving my system 3.4GB (Including Onboard ATI HD 7650 Intergraded Graphics Card)

If you have a 32 bit OS, that is all you will see available, If you have a 64 bit OS, needs some investigating.

You will be OK buying RAM from any major outlet.  2 choices.

PSU.   Although your system may run OK on a 350W PSU, it will be working hard, all of the time, leaves little extra capacity for upgrading hardware, may be limited to the number/output voltage of the PCI-E cables.   I recommend the selected one that will fit the case.

Parts listed are from the US.

>  http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jGjwf7

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Novatic.

Been a while since we heard from you.   Have you purchased/installed any of the suggested parts?   Is your system now seeing the full capacity of the RAM  installed.   An update would be appreciated.

Thanks.