Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet boot option in BIOS has vanished?

• Please log in to reply

geradra

geradra

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi there,

I`m new here. Does anyone know HOW i can restore the ethernet boot option to the BIOS boot list? I have a HP d530 base unit, running WinXPpro. The 'ethernet' boot option appeared on the list earlier, but I disabled it, thinking that it would make for a faster boot up. But here`s the thing - following a cloning that I tried to perform to a target HDD (which went wrong), neither my target nor original HDD would then boot up. So after getting booted up again, using Hirens boot CD 15.2, I then found that I couldn`t connect to the interenet (I use a WIRED connection). I then clicked on "Diagnose Connection" in 'Network diagnostics for Win XP'. I then got the following dialogue box, telling me:-

"Windows could not detect any wired or wireless network cards installed on your machine."

I`ve tried everything I can think of. I`ve been to device manager, and all drivers seem to be installed and there are no yellow exclamation marks there either. Recalling that I`d earlier disabled the ethernet boot option in BIOS, I then went into BIOS to re-enable it again - to see if that was the root of the problem (which I think it is!), but the ethernet option had totally disappeared from the boot list.....And, btw, everything else in BIOS pertaining to ethernet is enabled, as sometimes if certain other things are disabled (I`m told) it can make the ethernet option disappear.

So I`d greatly appreciate it if anyone can assist me......It would save me scrapping a good base unit, as everything else is working ok.

Advertisements

Natalie Green

Natalie Green

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

SOLUTION

Enabling the F12 function:

Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
    Press the right arrow key to select Main.
    Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
    Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
    Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Motherboard model and BIOS?

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

SOLUTION

Enabling the F12 function:

Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press the F2 key, or the DEL key if you have a desktop, to enter the BIOS.
    Press the right arrow key to select Main.
    Use the arrow keys to navigate to F12 Boot Menu, and press ENTER.
    Select Enabled, and press ENTER.
    Press the F10 key to save changes and restart the system.

Hi Natalie....Thanks for reply! Sorry for taking long to respond, I`ve been away a while. 

Getting into my BIOS is no prob. With me I need hit F10.

If you mean go in and enable F12 (i.e. network boot option), then I`ve already did that.

BTW, I even bought an external network adapter (USB3) to try and solve this, but to no avail...when I connected it then tried to login to say gmail, using IE browser, I was, like before, informed that no network card can be found.......A tougher problem I`ve never encountered!

Thanks again for trying to help. 

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Motherboard model and BIOS?

Hi DS, Like with natalie, pardon the delay. I`ll get back to you asap as soon as I get; Motherboard model and BIOS? that you require. I`ll try belarc advisor for a start.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hi DS, Like with natalie, pardon the delay. I`ll get back to you asap as soon as I get; Motherboard model and BIOS? that you require. I`ll try belarc advisor for a start.

Thanks for update   :thumbsup:

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi Dashing star,

Unfortunately Belarc advisor has been deleted from my pc and I can`t get online to d/load it again.

So please advise again of what info you require from my unit, and WHERE i locate it??

p.s....if by chance you can provide an email address, then I could email you screenshots of any system area you want/need to see....I can move the screenshots via usb stick, then email them to you from my laptop. 

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello,

Did you see Network adapter in Device manager?

Also provide your motherboard model. 

To know the model Go to-->start-->all programs--> accessories-->system tools-->system information-->system summary-->see for system model and system manufacturer

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi DS,

Earlier you requested: Motherboard model and BIOS?

There`s nothing listed for motherboard model under system summary (but I`m sure i`ve seen it somewhere?). I`ve just googled it, and found the following forum. It should be here...My unit is the SFF motherboard model. 

You also requested:

BIOS version/date: Hewlett-Packard 786B2 v 1.11. 10/07/2003 

Base unit model: HP/compaq d530 SFF(DG758A).

Did I see Network adapter in Device manager?.......Yes, I`ve listed what I can see below:

BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet - Packet Schedular Miniport

Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet - Packet Schedular Miniport

Direct Parallel

WAN Miniport (IP)

WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Schedular Miniport

WAN Miniport (IPX)

WAN Miniport (L2TP)

WAN Miniport (Network monitor)

WAN Miniport (Network monitor) - Packet Schedular Miniport

WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

WAN Miniport (PPTP)

There are no exclamation marks to be seen next to anything.

Hope this helps!

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

In bios ,

Under booting option--> what are the options you find hard disk, cd-dvd, network like that?

Advertisements

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

In bios ,

Under booting option--> what are the options you find hard disk, cd-dvd, network like that?

DS....I take it that you`re referring to Boot Menu here? If so, then I have my boot order arranged as follows:

1. CD rom

2. HDD

3. USB device

I disabled the 'Floppy drive' option, as I never use it (rather antiquated these days!).

But here`s the thing (as mentioned in an earlier post), there used to be a 'boot from ethernet' option, which has now totally disappeared from the boot menu?........What I essentially want to know is HOW to restore the Ethernet boot option to the menu...Any ideas? 

I`m no expert, but have a gut feeling that if I could restore it to the menu, then the status quo would be resumed, and again my network card would be recognised by windows....Oh, how wonderful to again get back online!!!!!! 

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

sometime windows behaves like this.. when i change my os from xp to windows 7 my network card is not detected.. but after some restarts it detected by itself and recognized the card... I also enable the onboard LAN and boot my pc with network option... Whether you enable the LAN in BIOS..?

check each and every option in BIOS..

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I`ve all but given up on it now! 

There`s no boot option for LAN, at least not on the boot-order list. There used to a boot option for Ethernet on the list. But that returns me back to square one again, and my original question: How to get the Ethernet option to re-appear again on my BIOS boot list?

If anyone can offer a solution to this i`d greatly appreciate it.

Another cause of why i`m getting "windows cannot detect any network card" might be because my integrated network card has failed/died.

Again I`d appreciate it if anyone knows any way of testing an integrated network card (perhaps free software) to see if it`s functioning? 

Do you know if the INC is soldered onto the motherboard? 

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

If PXE is not listed in the Boot Sequence options and if the NIC is embedded in the motherboard, look at the Integrated Devices section of the BIOS, which might have an option to enable PXE. PXE might be called by another name, such as MBA (Managed Boot Agent) or Pre-Boot Service.

After enabling PXE in the Integrated Devices section, look at the Boot Sequence options and move PXE so that it is first in the boot sequence.

Save any changes you have made and exit the system BIOS.

Reboot the device.

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can see ''NIC PXE Option ROM Download'' and ''S5 Wake on LAN'' under 'device options' heading. Both are enabled. I also looked for MBA (Managed Boot Agent) or Pre-Boot Service, but nothing by that name is shown. There`s no heading called 'Integrated Devices'. The only headings are as follows: Device configuration (under storage heading) Device security (under security) PCI devices + Device options (under Advanced) I`ve checked everything pertaining to networking under all these headings, and all are enabled, and yet still no option appears on the boot list for either ethernet or PXE. My NIC is a little silver box about 1/10" above the motherboard (way too close for me to view underneath it - to see how it`s attached. It`s probably soldered on, i presume!). There also 2xUSB ports contained within the little silver box. It would be helpful if it could pulled off of the M/board, but I hesitate to try lest I damage it if it`s soldered on. Surely there`s free software somewhere to be had, to enable one to test ones hardware components? I`m sure that repair technicians will secretly have and use suchlike?