Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet boot option in BIOS has vanished?

• Please log in to reply

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s.

Advertisements

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi DS, Hopfully this is the url you requested http://speccy.pirifo...gcDbFFxTabPkmuO If you happen to have a copy of Hiren`s boot CD, you`ll see that speccy is on it under "System Information". THere`s also 4 or 5 other similar tools such as "System explorer", "PC Wizard 2012", "GPU-Z", "SIW". THe latter, I think, has the nicest interface. All are pretty user friendly, but I suppose you need to learn what it all means. I can`t really see anything anywhere that actually tells you if a piece of hardware has failed - as opposed to just basically informing you if it`s running or not running....Perhaps one the above tools does in fact do that, but i never noticed it in the time I spent looking at each tool. most of them also allow you to create a txt, XML or similar file. If you wanted that, then I`d need an email address to email you the file. Let me know if speccy reveals anything.

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry DS...I sent you my laptop url by mistake. The correct URL should hopefully be as follows: http://speccy.pirifo...mItOSZWfQ3nbQSm

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I did not see any of the network card inserted on your pc?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

If you access the BIOS there is a file menu like the image bellow?

c04121935.jpg

If you have the option Apply Defaults an Exit or equivalent try that.

By the way the Network boot option on the boot menu is not needed for the machine to boot and have network access. But if you have this boot option enabled on the BIOS and it doesn't show on the menu it could indicate a problem with the network card.

Another thing you can try that solved some similar problems for me...

Disconnect the machine power cord then press the power button 2 or 3 times, connect the power cord and start the machine, check if the network card is back.

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi SD

Sad to say the unpluging re-pluging didn`t work.

Also, yes, boot option IS indeed enabled on the BIOS but it doesn't show on the menu.

I think this prob has you guys all defeated!.......An otherwise excellent PC in the trash bin - SAD!!!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

Can you post a screenshot of the Device Manager showing all the Network adapters?

Before taking the picture select Show Hidden Devices from the View menu.

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi SD,

Just noticed that you can post screenshots here....I wish I`d known earlier, as I earlier hand-wrote all the data given below - which Dashing Star requested.

Hope this suffices, otherwise I`d need to attach all the cables to the PC in question, to make a screenshot. 

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

BCM5701 Gigabit Ethernet - Packet Schedular Miniport

Broadcom NetExtreme Gigabit Ethernet - Packet Schedular Miniport

Direct Parallel

WAN Miniport (IP)

WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Schedular Miniport

WAN Miniport (IPX)

WAN Miniport (L2TP)

WAN Miniport (Network monitor)

WAN Miniport (Network monitor) - Packet Schedular Miniport

WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

WAN Miniport (PPTP)

There are no exclamation marks to be seen next to anything.

BTW...Did you view my SPECCY url in the earlier thread....DS also requested it...

http://speccy.pirifo...mItOSZWfQ3nbQSm

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...mItOSZWfQ3nbQSm

Advertisements

mltoombs

mltoombs

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Adapters List

Enabled

Local Area Connection
Connection Name: Local Area Connection
DHCP enabled: No

Local Area Connection 2
Connection Name: Local Area Connection 2
DHCP enabled: No

I just noticed that you have two network connections and DHCP is disabled on both of them. You might need to enable DHCP and see what happens.

geradra

geradra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi mltoombs,

thanks for noticing that. It surely must have something to do with that.

I wasn`t sure how to do what you asked, but I went to local area connectiion > properties, then highlighted 'internet protocal' then properties. Here I found the option 'obtain an ip address automatically' already in force. However, before hitting properties, the option was there to 'Install'. When I hit that I was presented with 3 choices of the network feature that i wanted to install:

Client

Service

Protocal

However, when I chose 'protocal', I was told that windows cannot find driver. Also, my driver installer disc is not recognised by it. And besides, my driver disc  tells me that ALL my drivers are installed. I just can`t figure it out!

I have a stack of screenshots to make it clearer to you, Is there any way I can send them to you, or anything else you may want sent? Perhaps you can glean something from them.  

Oh, btw, once when I was booting up I got one of those 'Ethernet boot agent' screens giving me the option to press CTRL-S  to configure the menu (ethernet menu, I presume!...I have a screenshot!), but the problem was that nothing happened when I pressed CTRL-S...Very frustrating!

Would connecting wirelessly totally bi-pass this problem?.......I never use wireless, so when I tried recently I couldn`t get it to work. Will need to ask advice from my ISP.

Anyway, please let me know soon what you think, and about any way to send you screenshots etc,.