Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading the major components (Resolved)

Best Answer GhostLoad , 05 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

Just an update, it's performing pretty well so far.  I used 3DMark 11 to benchmark the before & after, and I went from about a X9000 rating (5% better than all others tested) to approx X52... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Hmm really something to think about.  Currently I don't have a 4k monitor (probably won't for any near foreseeable future) and I'm using a dual 24" 1080p setup.  I think I might not need the 980 Ti in that case, which puts me back at the 980.  There's 4 that seem pretty [bleep] similar minus the number of reviews for each, and the style of cooling (double fans, closed design VS single turbine exhaust design).  With my case being a large ATX with pretty good fan setup, it might be a tossup between the 4 of them.  I kinda wish the prices didn't just jump a few days ago, maybe I should've pulled the trigger at $499.  :/

Here's the 4 cards again by the way; http://www.newegg.co...8^14-487-068-TS

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I don't think there would be much diference in performance, my choice would be on the card with the better reviews, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487068

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Kinda what I was thinking, now all I have to do is keep an eye on it until it's more around the $500 mark.....  >.<

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not sure if the price is a mistake or not but if you have a Micro Center store local to you it would be worth you calling in, see here

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Wow that price is insane!  I don't have one near me at all (none in my state, Florida).  Is there one near you?  I'd gladly pay you to buy one for me & mail it to my address.  :D

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

So I just started clicking on random store locations, and it says it's out of stock everywhere......  ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Wow that price is insane!  I don't have one near me at all (none in my state, Florida).  Is there one near you?  I'd gladly pay you to buy one for me & mail it to my address.   :D

Alas I am in the UK and iammykyl in Aus.

So I just started clicking on random store locations, and it says it's out of stock everywhere......  ?

I am not surprised at that price but it is not helpful them not saying so on their Homepage  :(

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I think it's an error.  My cousin lives near one of the stores, and when he called and gave them the item number, they said they don't actually carry that item.  Also, if you search the website for that item number, you get no results.  The same thing happened if I searched for the name of the card itself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Me too thinks that it was an error somewhere down the line but what a way to get people into your stores though.

Micro Center SKU: 450080

Micro Center UPC: 843368032371

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Looks like Macro are not admiting to an error, the listed card number 04G-P4-2982-KR > http://www.evga.com/...-P4-2982-KR&sa=and at Newegg, >  http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487068

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yeah I was temporarily extremely excited that I could get the card at an affordable price.  I tried to see if anyone around here would price-match but they only do it for local competitors.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

I reported the link to Amazon under the part where it asks if you "See it cheaper elsewhere?" so hopefully they'll drop the price and I can get one cheap lol.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Any progress with the upgrades yet GhostLoad?

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Not quite yet, still keeping an eye on card prices.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:thumbsup: