Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading the major components (Resolved)

Best Answer GhostLoad , 05 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

Just an update, it's performing pretty well so far.  I used 3DMark 11 to benchmark the before & after, and I went from about a X9000 rating (5% better than all others tested) to approx X52... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not that much, the reason why I would choose the 04G-P4-1982-KR version of the card is because it actually expels the heat that it generates directly out of the back of the case rather than it being recirculated around inside of the case, that is how it is able to run cooler and quieter than the other two versions.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Gotcha, alright thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I think I'm gonna go with that model of GPU here soon and then wait for the new series of Intel chips to replace everything else.  I appreciate all the suggestions.  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Let us know when you have the card up and running and any questions along the way don`t hesitate to ask here  :thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Will do, I'll post here once I get the new card installed and running.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Does that small difference amount to much though?

Sorry for the late posting. 

The only way to reasonable answer is finding reviews with benchmarks making comparisons to the cards you are selecting.

A pure guess would be, reference card to highly modified, up to 3/5 FPS.   A big factor to me is low heat and noise output.  Sorry that's a bit non committal.

Consider holding off on your purchase for a while.   Get your choice down to two cards, then watch the prices over the next few weeks, reason, AMD have released their long awaited next gen cards,   Results not as ghood as antisipated but reports that Navidia may cut prices, > http://www.crn.com/s...em-builders.htm

Based on used parts pricing here, I think USA, you could get.

MB, $150/180.

CPU, $130/170.

RAM, $80/110.

GPU, $85/100.

:wave: Phillpowwer2,   :thumbsup:  :hug:  :hug:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Alright I'll try and keep an eye on those couple of cards I listed over the next week or 2.  And good to know, that's approx what I thought my components would be worth, so thankfully I'm reassured lol.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  :rockon:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Does that small difference amount to much though?

Sorry for the late posting. 

The only way to reasonable answer is finding reviews with benchmarks making comparisons to the cards you are selecting.

A pure guess would be, reference card to highly modified, up to 3/5 FPS.   A big factor to me is low heat and noise output.  Sorry that's a bit non committal.

Consider holding off on your purchase for a while.   Get your choice down to two cards, then watch the prices over the next few weeks, reason, AMD have released their long awaited next gen cards,   Results not as ghood as antisipated but reports that Navidia may cut prices, > http://www.crn.com/s...em-builders.htm

Based on used parts pricing here, I think USA, you could get.

MB, $150/180.

CPU, $130/170.

RAM, $80/110.

GPU, $85/100.

:wave: Phillpowwer2,   :thumbsup:  :hug:  :hug:

Most wise advice from colleague iammykyl  :thumbsup:

The best GPU today may not be the best tomorrow but do keep in mind that a balance between other hardware such as the CPU and Ram is most important else you may end up with a bottleneck, the i5 2500k CPU and the present Ram will work well with a GTX 980 and without the need for O/Cing them.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

You guys have any suggestion on how long to wait after the new Intel chips come out before I should consider upgrading the rest of my components?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I would wait at least a couple of months for stocks to be plentiful and prices to settle down.

There are rumours that the CPU will not ship with a cooler, > http://techfrag.com/...-unlocked-cpus/

See how the initial buyers react/report, there may be some problems.

Research the new MBs, features/prices.

If you do require a new OS,? :rolleyes:

:headhurt: Get W7/8.1 then upgrade to W10 or just get W10 

http://www.techradar...eatures-1029245

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yeah I'll go with Windows 7 64-bit again once I upgrade my parts.  Also, I was planning on picking up another Hyper 212+ (or something similar) for CPU cooling once I upgrade my stuff anyways.

So it looks like the Skylake chips will come out approx in August, so I'll look for parts around October I suppose.  Hopefully my friend will still be in the market for my components when that time comes.   :(

Edited by GhostLoad, 29 June 2015 - 08:35 PM.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

FML so the card you recommended phillpower2, apparently is now $50 more.  :(

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Also, what do you guys think about spending 20% more to get the GTX 980 Ti over the normal GTX 980?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Also, what do you guys think about spending 20% more to get the GTX 980 Ti over the normal GTX 980?

For me no, the cost to performance margin doesn`t justify the vast difference in price IMO, see here, someone who has actually used both versions of the card for the same types of use may totally disagree with me though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Looking at prices now, appears to be $100/150 difference, 980/980 ti. so Think the call is harder.

Don't forget to take into account the display size being used, refresh rate 60/144Hz, resolution 1920x1020/2160p (4K UHD)

and the game settings as it is not always essential to have the max to get the best gaming.

Review, >  http://www.pcgamer.c...980-ti-review/\

Even though the Pro reviewers of the AMD Fury X are not overly impressed, if sales are high, I think the Nvidia prices will fall.