Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PXE-E61 media test

• Please log in to reply

Chatrisha

Chatrisha

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

My sister brought me her computer today because she has been having this problem with it. She will occasionally get a blue screen saying her computer will shut down, and when it reboots she gets a

Realtek RTL8100E/8101E fast ethernet network adapter V1.02 (060510)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE:MOF:exiting PXE ROM

message. She would be able to just shut down and a few hours later it would work fine again. It happened again about 5 hours ago, and just will not boot. The same message keeps repeating over and over.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,522 posts
Hello Chatrisha,

Warning I'm not a technician,

but I saw your post and thought I would respond about the error in general;

Realtek RTL8100E/8101E fast ethernet network adapter V1.02 (060510)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE:MOF:exiting PXE ROM

That error above can indicate a failed hard drive especially the fact that you also had a blue screen possibly indicating hardware failure.

Also
When the error says "check cable" it's referring to the cable that connects to the Hard drive however Laptops do not usually have a cable and the hard drive connects to a connector built into the motherboard, I had the same error on my Gateway Laptop and thought the drive was failed, after a little more investigation i found a cover on the back of the laptop took 2 or 3 screws out removed cover and there it was the hard drive had simply come disconnected. All I did was plug it in, put cover on, and it rebooted to windows, maybe you will find the same. Hopefully a technician will see this thread and also reply with other ideas.

What is the make an model? Is it a Toshiba by chance ?

Thanks
Joe

Chatrisha

Chatrisha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, it's Toshiba. Not sure of model or anything atm. I'm actually just headed to bed as it's quite late. Can I let you know tomorrow?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 5,522 posts
OK,

I'll also try an get the topic moved to another area since it's not a malware issue.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

Hello folks,

Chatrisha,

When you reply can you post the model name or number of the notebook for us, additionally, try restarting the notebook and accessing the BIOS to check the following;

1: That the HDD is listed by name ST for Seagate or WD for Western Digital as two examples.

2: That the boot sequence is set so as the HDD is the first or second boot device.**

3: That the time and date are correct.

** The option to boot from any PXE device should be disabled on any computer that has not previously been configured to boot up from a network.

Chatrisha

Chatrisha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Its a satellite L450D-OOX. There are 2 compartments besides the battery one on the back that I can remove, which one would hold the hard drive?

Chatrisha

Chatrisha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

And I cant see the HDD listed anywhere on the BIOS. Date and time are correct, and boot order is CD/DVD FDD then LAN

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

If the HDD is not listed in the BIOS and the computer will not boot into Windows then the HDD has failed.

To help with removing the HDD see steps 1 and 2 here

FDD and Lan should not be enabled as boot devices, disable them and you should no longer get the PXE error message, it doesn't help with the HDD issue but it will stop the computer from trying to boot from a non existent source.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

Chatrisha

Chatrisha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Should I remove it and try to reconnect it, or is it a lost cause?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

No harm in removing and replacing the drive in case of a dirty or poor contact.

If you can get some further information from your sister it may save you a lot of time and trouble, questions to ask include;

1: Has the notebook been dropped or banged.

2: Has the HDD been making any odd noises.

3: How much free storage space was available on the drive.

Chatrisha

Chatrisha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

It's a refurbished computer, has not been dropped or banged. Once, a few days ago, while streaming a video it froze and gave a long beep, then the screen started flashing different colours and the computer restarted. Upon restart, once again she was receiving the original message repeatedly. As for available space, no idea. She's 12 and doesnt really pay that much attention to those details. 

I removed and reconnected the hard drive and still got the same messages, as well. 

Is it just time to invest in a new computer/HDD for her?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
a few days ago, while streaming a video it froze and gave a long beep, then the screen started flashing different colours and the computer restarted. 

Overheating would cause that sort of behaviour, problem is that it could be anything from an overheating video chip, Ram, HDD or the MB itself.

I removed and reconnected the hard drive and still got the same messages, as well. 

Did you disable the FDD and Lan options in the BIOS as I suggested.

Is it just time to invest in a new computer/HDD for her?

Before purchasing anything I would suggest that you have the present HDD tested, this can be done by placing it in another notebook, an external USB HDD enclosure/adaptor or by taking it to a local tech store, the latter may cost a small fee so be sure to ask first.

Chatrisha

Chatrisha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Our mother has stated that she's just going to take it back to the place where it was purchased and have them take a look at it. Thanks for the help so far though

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

No problem, good luck with it and please let us know how you get on.

You are welcome btw  :)