Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Setting Up Second Monitor

Dual Monitor

Best Answer phillpower2 , 28 June 2015 - 05:16 AM

Nothing extra needs to be done, the additional details were for information purposes only. Not sure in which country you are but fwiw Newegg stock reasonably priced cables, one here Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jbkillable

Jbkillable

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, I'll just get straight to the point:
I'm looking to set up a second monitor. I have the monitor I'd like to use, (a small flatscreen television we no longer use)
It's got a normal HDMI port, along with a VGA port.
My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti. (Three ports on it, DVI-A [currently being used for my main monitor] DVI-D, and some sort of smaller HDMI port???)
I looked into it a little, and found there are adapters to have a VGA cable connect to a DVI-D port, though I couldn't seem to find it at BestBuy. Upon asking a worker if they could direct me to where they are, he said either "you can't go from low definition to high definition" (possibly the other way around, I don't quite recall.) He also told me that they do make adapters such as the one I asked for, but also that they didn't work well, hence not carrying them.

So, the question is, what sort of adapter which works well for dual displays, and uses either VGA cable or HDMI cable? (Preferably HDMI, as I haven't got much of a use for mine anymore, why not repurpose it!)
This BestBuy worker also told me that they make adapters which allow a VGA or HDMI cable to be plugged into it, and in turn, the adapter would work fine in a USB port. (I personally have no idea about that, never heard anything like that before)
If it helps at all, I have a picture of the ports on my graphics card (Disregard the yellow one, as it is used for my main monitor) and the ports on the television I will use.
Thank you in advance, I know it was long, I can sum it up a little more if need be.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   Jbkillable,

Is your video card the Nvidea brand or an OEM such as ASUS, EVGA or Gigabyte etc, the reason that I ask is because the cards may vary from brand to brand, the Nvidea branded card has a mini HDMI port which would require a cable such as the one here

Jbkillable

Jbkillable

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome:   Jbkillable,

Is your video card the Nvidea brand or an OEM such as ASUS, EVGA or Gigabyte etc, the reason that I ask is because the cards may vary from brand to brand, the Nvidea branded card has a mini HDMI port which would require a cable such as the one here

I believe it is a genuine Nvidia card. I didn't build my computer, or have anything to do with it further than plugging it in when it arrived. (A friend referred me to one of his friends who did all of that) it does have the miniature HDMI.
So that cable you linked would work for setting up a second monitor?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If you check the information and the pictures of the card on the Nvidea home page you will see that their card does not look the same as yours and that it has the following ports One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One mini-HDMI another example of the card is the Zotac here which does look the same as yours, both have a mini HDMI port with which the example cable will work.

Jbkillable

Jbkillable

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If you check the information and the pictures of the card on the Nvidea home page you will see that their card does not look the same as yours and that it has the following ports One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One mini-HDMI another example of the card is the Zotac here which does look the same as yours, both have a mini HDMI port with which the example cable will work.

Thinking back on it, I believe I do recall seeing a Zotac manual in the box of assorted things I was given with the computer, I'll go confirm if it's there. 

Jbkillable

Jbkillable

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yes, it turns out it is a Zotac. Would that mean I'd have to do anything "extra" to have the second monitor working properly? (I do apologize for being a bit daft on the topic, I'm still relatively new in the world of computers.)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

Nothing extra needs to be done, the additional details were for information purposes only.

Not sure in which country you are but fwiw Newegg stock reasonably priced cables, one here

Jbkillable

Jbkillable

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Nothing extra needs to be done, the additional details were for information purposes only.

Not sure in which country you are but fwiw Newegg stock reasonably priced cables, one here

I'm in America, a few friends have referred me to newegg, and I believe most/all of my computer parts were ordered from there. I've recently been browsing about for some new accessories, so far I've been extremely satisfied with what I've found.
Anyways, I believe that's all for me, thank you so very much for your help, and especially your patience.
I'll definitely be coming back to this website if I need any more help with anything!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for your kind words  :)