Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tried to fix xp with a cd and may have lost what i had in my computer

• Please log in to reply

bettyalexander

bettyalexander

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I tried to fix my computer which had the professional copy of xp[    Indicated I was missing dll file  I finally tried fixing with a repair cd and hit the repair option and computer went thru the process  and now it is asking for me to enter an activation code/numbe.  Does that mean I have lost all my data and have actually installed a new account  I am confused  My microsoft word amd Microsoft photo programs were working fine before I did all this  I just dont know what I have done now  I have not entered an activation code because I am hoping there is a way to cancel this and keep the pictures and information I had on the computer PLEASE HELP  

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:welcome:   bettyalexander,

Can't say for sure what has happened here so I suggest that we see if your data is still on the HDD before we do anything else.

Do you have access to another computer that has internet access and a DVD/CD burner, this to download and burn Puppy Linux to see if we can access the data on the HDD.

Additionally, can I ask what type of repair CD it was that you used.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.