Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

az_adobe

az_adobe

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Hi there,

Thanks in advance for your expert help!

Dell XPS running Windows 7.

Got a BSOD with the IRQL error message. We powered the computer down, powered up the next morning, computer froze during startup, powered down. When I powered back up, the computer beeped 4 beeps intermittently. I powered down, waited a few hours, powered back up - it came up. Computer worked all day, then another BSOD with a similar cycle.

What's up with my PC? Let me know what data you need.

Thanks,

Pam

Advertisements

az_adobe

az_adobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Dell XPS 8300 

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello az_adobe,

4 error beeps on a Dell computer denotes a memory issue, it could be failing or it could just need to be removed and then reinserted to ensure a good contact between the memory and the slot/s on the MB.

Are you ok with working inside the computer.

Tip

Please do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped.

NB: Thread moved to the hardware forums as it is not a problem with the OS.

az_adobe

az_adobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

ok, got it about the replies.

yes - I am ok working inside the computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket  and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

az_adobe

az_adobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

done.

4 sticks of RAM in 4 different slots = 16 boots.

The only problem i saw was on one stick, one slot the display came up weird - icons and words were large.

but, I retried that one combination at the end of my testing and it booted normally.

az_adobe

az_adobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

how do I proceed from here?

sorry, i did it again - replied when i shouldnt have. i now see that there is an Edit button. sorry!

Edited by az_adobe, 03 July 2015 - 01:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

how do I proceed from here?

sorry, i did it again - replied when i shouldnt have. i now see that there is an Edit button. sorry!

No problem as it may not have happened if I had been around to respond to your reply #6  :unsure:

Any more BSOD since you replaced all of the Ram.

Memory issues also include video memory (VRam) do you have an add on video card or are you using the MBs integrated video port.

Please check to see if any crash dumps have been generated;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

az_adobe

az_adobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I have not used the computer much since the RAM test. I have not seen a BSOD, but I have had the computer freeze on 2 different occasions. i rebooted and it came back up. I do not have external devices reconnected yet - just the mouse, keyboard, monitor, ethernet.

Yes - I have an add-on video card - AMD Radeon HD 6450

compressed dump files are attached.

THANKS!

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Your video card is identified as having caused crashes in the past (be it the card itself or its drivers) however the last crash dump is from Thu Apr 30 11:32:41.040 2015 (UTC - 4:00) and so does not help us with solving the present issue/s.

BTW  X64_0x116_IMAGE_atikmpag.sys is identified as the cause of the last crash.

We need to look elsewhere so please see my canned text below;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Advertisements

az_adobe

az_adobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

should I plug all external drives back in, or leave as it?

I don't know what that error is that caused the last crash.

just ran speccy.

url - http://speccy.pirifo...UEm8arzDjgZdVz1

note - it seems i can use my computer for a good part of the day, and then it hangs. I reboot, it comes up ok, use it, hangs, ...

not sure if this is related to the BSOD error.

Edited by az_adobe, 04 July 2015 - 11:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thank you for your update/s  :thumbsup:

Please leave any external devices disconnected from the computer while we are troubleshooting, this because they draw power from the PSU which looking at your Speccy report may be struggling to produce an adequate power output, I will explain in more detail about this below.

There are a couple of things of note in Speccy, with the exception of possibly needing to replace the PSU if proven to be bad you can address the other issues yourself with some guidance from us here, we will not overburden you with a long "to do" list but instead suggest that you do one thing at a time and see how things go.

Before I highlight the aforementioned issues can you to let us know the following information;

From your reply #9

I have not used the computer much since the RAM test. I have not seen a BSOD, but I have had the computer freeze on 2 different occasions. 

What was the computer being used for each time that it froze, were you trying to connect to the internet or watch a video as two examples.

What AV and Firewall software have you purposely installed yourself.

The PSU is what we should check first due its potential to hose the whole computer if it pops, see the below, your PSU output as reported by Speccy (The items I have highlighted in red are the concerns) and the PSU tolerance table showing what the output/s needs to be;

Voltage
CPU CORE: 0.972 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.500 V
+3.3V: 2.844 V
+5V: 2.782 V
+12V: 11.088 V
-12V: (8.880) V
-5V: (8.880) V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 2.762 V
CMOS BATTERY: 1.620 V

To check the PSU;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

az_adobe

az_adobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I have been using the computer more when I can - basic email & browsing. When the freeze happens, I am not usually doing much. Today, I moved from a browser window to my email window, then the hang. Or yesterday I returned to an excel spreadsheet and then the hang. Note that I don't have anymore beeping.

This morning it froze twice. On the second bootup, a CHKDSK was automatically run. It stated that one of my disks needed to be checked for consistency. I didn't watch it run through, but the computer came up. Is there a log file that would be useful for me to post?

I have installed the following:

AV - AVG Free 2015

Firewall - Comodo

I think this combination was recommended to me awhile ago from Geeks-to-go, so it may be an outdated suggestion.

As far as the video card causing crashes earlier - anything I should address there?

BIG THX!

ok, that post is really small. I will try to make it bigger. let me know if its readable

Attached Thumbnails

• SFanbig.jpg
  • HWMbig.jpg

Edited by az_adobe, 05 July 2015 - 04:43 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

It is getting late here and have an early start tomorrow so will be going offline soon I'm afraid.

The reason why I asked about the security software that you had installed was because Speccy shows that apart from Comodo and AVG Windows Firewall is also running and that you have McAfee Security Scan Component Host Service installed, this would cause conflicts and cause problems when you are on the internet, make sure that Windows Firewall is disabled and uninstall McAfee Security Scan Component Host Service.

The video card crashes are not relevant to the present issue and so can be put aside.

Your HWMonitor screenshot is small but I used a magnifier to read it and your PSU is reported as not putting out enough power, I wont be around to check back until 7/8pm UK time tomorrow but can you meanwhile do the following;

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

az_adobe

az_adobe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

I have no idea why Windows Firewall is enabled - it was previously not! It is now disabled. And McAfee is uninstalled. Thank you.

Please clarify which temps you'd like to see, and from which program? HWMonitor or Speedfan? I see lots of temps, not sure which one to report back.

Have we moved from one problem to a completely unrelated one? from RAM to possible power supply?

FYI: I am heading out of town on 7/9 and unable to work on this computer issue til 8/2. Is there anyway to pick up this topic then? If you have to close this out for whatever reason, no worries, but if we can keep it open, great!

Here are the CHKDSK results:

Checking file system on C:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is OS.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You

may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended

that you continue.

Windows will now check the disk.                        

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

971520 file records processed.                                          File verification completed.

2124 large file records processed.                                      0 bad file records processed.                                        0 EA records processed.                                              62 reparse records processed.                                       CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

1099230 index entries processed.                                         Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.                                           0 unindexed files recovered.                                       CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...

971520 file SDs/SIDs processed.                                         CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream

Cleaning up 11121 unused security descriptors.

63856 data files processed.                                            CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

36807824 USN bytes processed.                                             Usn Journal verification completed.

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the

master file table (MFT) bitmap.

Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

962826239 KB total disk space.

418341832 KB in 905327 files.

414192 KB in 63859 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

1105167 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

542965048 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

240706559 total allocation units on disk.

135741262 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:

00 d3 0e 00 e5 c9 0e 00 b5 bc 18 00 00 00 00 00  ................

5e 50 01 00 3e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ^P..>...........

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.

Please wait while your computer restarts.

Edited by az_adobe, 07 July 2015 - 11:12 AM.