Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Laptop Makes Strange Noise than Screen Goes Black

screen black laptop Acer Extensa 4420 noise

• Please log in to reply

Athena_the_White

Athena_the_White

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello,

I have an Acer laptop that is a few years old and just recently it has started having an issue with the screen. What happens is that I will turn the computer on and the screen will turn on fine, but then it will make a noise almost like white noise and then the screen will go black. (At first the screen would just become very dark, but the problem has come to a point where the screen will be totally black.) I can hear the actual computer turn on even with the screen black. Recently, I found that by hitting the Fn button or a combination of it and the F6 button the screen will actually turn back on for a few seconds during start up. Once the computer has turned on completely, either of these sequences will cause the computer's screen to turn on for an indefinite period. What is the cause of this issue? It only seems like one that will get worse. 

Computer Info:

Laptop Model: Acer Extensa 4420

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-57 1.90 GHz

Memory: 1790 MB

System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Windows Vista Home Premium

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

At a guess, it is most likely the backlight and if that is the case, it will only get worse. You can shine a flashlight on it when it is dark to see if you can see if there is anything on the screen. You can also try connecting it to an external monitor.

Athena_the_White

Athena_the_White

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

At a guess, it is most likely the backlight and if that is the case, it will only get worse. You can shine a flashlight on it when it is dark to see if you can see if there is anything on the screen. You can also try connecting it to an external monitor.

Hello,

How would I go about replacing the backlight? Is it expensive? Thank you for your response!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

I don't think it is all that expensize, but a laptop tends to be a puzzle box. A web search shows that Amazon carries some backlights, but realize that it could also be the inverter board for the backlight.

Here is an example of what it takes to replace it:

http://www.laptoprep...ight-ccfl-lamp/

Here is a post with possible part numbers:

http://community.ace...m-p/11475#M6658

It looks like the inverter board is around $15. The backlight under $20, depending on size. The time (aka labor) is what would drive the price up if you were do have someone do it, or take a lot of your time if you do it yourself. If you do it yourself, be very careful, take pictures as you go along to help with putting it back together. You might want to check what the cost would be to have it done in your area so as to make a good decision as to do it yourself or just pay to have it down.