Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Raspberry Pi questions

installation disk dump Ubuntu GUI

• Please log in to reply

SuperSapien

SuperSapien

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi I'm planning to purchase a Raspberry Pi 2 model B and I have some questions about it.

My fist questions is is there GUI installer available to install the .img files to the SD card? I know Linux Mint has a USB/flash drive imaging tool but I don't know if it supports .img files or how well it would work with R-Pi distros. I don't feel like using Disk Dump it seems to complicated.

My second question is it possible to encrypt the home folder later after I install Ubuntu Mate R-Pi edition?

And my third question is whats the maximum SD card size limit for the Raspberry Pi 2?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

the pi has nothing to do with the installer. the installer will work the same as it would anywhere else, so if the particular image you're installing has a gui installer, it would work the same way

the encryption question is entirely dependent on the distro...If the distro allows for encryption of the home folder (which I'm sure it should) then there you go.

they've been verified to work with 32gb SD cards....but, they might work with larger....that's just what has been certified as working.

you should probably go to the raspberry pi forums to learn how to install the images to the SD card. it's fairly easy.

SuperSapien

SuperSapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

the pi has nothing to do with the installer. the installer will work the same as it would anywhere else, so if the particular image you're installing has a gui installer, it would work the same way

the encryption question is entirely dependent on the distro...If the distro allows for encryption of the home folder (which I'm sure it should) then there you go.

they've been verified to work with 32gb SD cards....but, they might work with larger....that's just what has been certified as working.

you should probably go to the raspberry pi forums to learn how to install the images to the SD card. it's fairly easy.

Thanks. :)

Yes I know the R Pi has nothing to do with the installer. But if I use for example the thumbdrive iso installer that comes preinstalled in Linux Mint it might work correct?

Either way I guess I'll ask the Raspberry Pi forums or Element 14 forums when the time comes. :D 

NaaYaa

NaaYaa

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi I'm planning to purchase a Raspberry Pi 2 model B and I have some questions about it.

My fist questions is is there GUI installer available to install the .img files to the SD card? I know Linux Mint has a USB/flash drive imaging tool but I don't know if it supports .img files or how well it would work with R-Pi distros. I don't feel like using Disk Dump it seems to complicated.

My second question is it possible to encrypt the home folder later after I install Ubuntu Mate R-Pi edition?

And my third question is whats the maximum SD card size limit for the Raspberry Pi 2?

Hi, 

I've installed Raspbian using the SD Formatter program (Formatting an SD card). This program simply formats the card to the filesystem that Raspberry Pi can use. 

As far as the maximum card size go, I've seen people bragging on Reddit that they've successfully used 64 GB cards. But I think that 32 GB is officially supported.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

not sure about the thumbdrive iso installer. the pi has an arm processor so the image has to be compiled as arm....but, my assumption is that the iso installer is just dumping the iso to the SD card. the pi forums have a very easy to use utility specifically for flashing images to the SD cards that you'd use. I'd stick with that if you're new to the whole thing

SuperSapien

SuperSapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Thanks NaaYaa that's good news so at least I should have about thirty gigs of available space more if I use a USB Thumbdrive for extra storage, and I already know about those Windows apps used for installing R Pi distros. I just wish there was GUI available for the Linux diskdump feature because I'm not very handy with command lines.

NaaYaa

NaaYaa

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

not sure about the thumbdrive iso installer. the pi has an arm processor so the image has to be compiled as arm....but, my assumption is that the iso installer is just dumping the iso to the SD card. the pi forums have a very easy to use utility specifically for flashing images to the SD cards that you'd use. I'd stick with that if you're new to the whole thing

Yes, you just download and extract a zip file containing the installer called NOOBS  to your SD card.

computerprogrammer484

computerprogrammer484

• Pip
  • 1 posts

32 gb cards work just fine but ive seen 64 gb work in some cases

sam smith

sam smith

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Just burn your SD Card with desired OS and mount it over your Raspberry Pi Board.

SuperSapien

SuperSapien

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Update there's a new GUI Raspberry Pi image righter available for Ubuntu now check it out here:  https://www.youtube....h?v=B-XnoWCxU0M