Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help for an OAP [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

littlenorty

littlenorty

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

After your help, there is an OAP in the sheltered accommodation that my wife runs that has a problem with is Toshiba Windows 8 laptopicon1.png.
just been round there and the laptop has a very strange old fashioned log in screen, the only password he has on the computer dosen't work in this screen, his password is 11 characters long and this screen will only let you put in 10 characters. Pressing the enter key brings up a message saying press enter to shut down computer but this only puts it in standby mode. You can't get past this logon screen to aceess the computer, pointing the mouse to the bottom right hand corner dosen't bring up the windows side bar.
I have tried to turn the computer off by holding down the power button (longest time I tried holding it down for was a minute) but again it only seems to put it in standby mode -my initial reaction is a virus and I had planned to boot in safe mode and re-install a fresh installation of Win 8. 
To make it worse the laptop doesn't have a removable battery I can take out.

I have attached a picture of the screen.20150702_164455.jpg

He is lost with out his laptop so any helpicon1.png would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi littlenorty :)

Sadly, GeeksToGo doesn't provide any assistance when it comes to password recovery or bypass, since we cannot verify if you are the legitimate owner of the device or if you have the right to do.

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

GeeksToGo Terms of Use: http://www.geekstogo...tion=boardrules

Sorry.

littlenorty

littlenorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi littlenorty :)

Sadly, GeeksToGo doesn't provide any assistance when it comes to password recovery or bypass, since we cannot verify if you are the legitimate owner of the device or if you have the right to do.

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

GeeksToGo Terms of Use: http://www.geekstogo...tion=boardrules

Sorry.

Totally understand that, 

but he hasn't set a password for Windows 8 the only password he has on the computer is for its hotmail account.

What ever I do I can't get off this screen pressing back does nothing and like I said moving the mouse to the bottom right of the screen doesn't bring up the windows side bar screen with the power down options and the windows key does nothing what so ever to me it doesn't seem to be a normal password screen.  Plus the fact I can't turn the laptop off while pressing the power button has me very puzzled to what this screen is?

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

Hi Littlenorty

This doesn't look like a standard Windows Login screen so I'll move this down to Malware assistance and ask someone to take a look if you like?

littlenorty

littlenorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi Littlenorty

This doesn't look like a standard Windows Login screen so I'll move this down to Malware assistance and ask someone to take a look if you like?

If you could that would be great, many thanks.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

I will try and assist if able...a few questions first as follows if I may;

1 - Which exact Toshiba modal is the laptop ? If unsure just look on the base and any form of identifying modal number and serial type numbers will suffice etc.

2 - Ask the owner if he can recall exactly what he was doing last time used the machine, any unexpected behaviour and or curious activity noted ?

3 - Also ask if any other security software is in use instead/as well as Windows Defender, plus does he recall if any of the presently in use/installed security software warned(and or removed) about anything ?

Answer the above as best able when ready and we will then go from there, thank you.

littlenorty

littlenorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi and many thanks

I pop and see the gentleman tomorrow and try to find out the above info.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Acknowledged and you're most welcome!

Also as a precaution since going to be a wee bit of a delay; if you could ask your wife to advise the owner of the machine that he switch's of whatever hardware he is using that he connects via say a eithernet cable and or wirelessly for his internet connection to err on the side of caution and leave switched off until I advise otherwise, thank you. :)

littlenorty

littlenorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Acknowledged and you're most welcome!

Also as a precaution since going to be a wee bit of a delay; if you could ask your wife to advise the owner of the machine that he switch's of whatever hardware he is using that he connects via say a eithernet cable and or wirelessly for his internet connection to err on the side of caution and leave switched off until I advise otherwise, thank you. :)

All turned off, its a Toshiba Satellite, L50t-B-136 and its Skullcandy above the keyboard.

He is very forgetful, so as far as I can make it its has only windows defender as secrurity, he hadn't noticed anything unusual.  The only thing I think he has done is downloaded a couple of games - what they where and from which site he can't rememberer.

He has nothing saved on the laptop he wants saved, he only uses to play word games so he is happy for me to do a clean install (via the Toshiba recovery?)

So if I can get it to close down hopefully I can invoke the  a Toshiba recovery mode during start up? and do a re-install that way.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Acknowledged and thank you for the answers to my question's...

Please bare with myself and I will respond in full with a suitable course of action in due course, thank you.

Advertisements

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Hi littlenorty, Dakeyras is unavailable at present so I am going to look after you while he is indisposed.

Firstly, if you refer to this link here

There is a force shutdown button hole that can be pressed.

Let me know how you get on and we can try and sort the logon issue out or help you with recovery if needed.

littlenorty

littlenorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi littlenorty, Dakeyras is unavailable at present so I am going to look after you while he is indisposed.

Let me know how you get on and we can try and sort the logon issue out or help you with recovery if needed.

Many thanks Ruggie and try and get over to see him tomorrow and give it a go
Appreciate all your help

littlenorty

littlenorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ruggie

Just been to sent the gentleman, firstly there is no reset hole that I can see.

But I have worked out to remove the battery via 2 screws, So i have removed the battery, done a cold reset (held down the power button down for 15 secs with no battery or power cord attched.)

Then plugged in the power supply (leaving the battery out) tried holding down the  0 zero button, another attempt with F2 and another with the F12 button while starting up

All get the same result Toshiba splash screen then the same password screen.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts

Ok, do you have access to the Windows disk for the machine?

It may be best if we proceed to check the system by booting from the disk.

littlenorty

littlenorty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok, do you have access to the Windows disk for the machine?

It may be best if we proceed to check the system by booting from the disk.

No sorry no windows disk.