Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

surround sound

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 396 posts
I got a surround sound system. I want to connect my pc to it. What cables would I need? I can tell you what ports are on it later when I get home.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

If the SS is out of the box new the cables should be included, if not new can you let us know the brand and model name or number of the SS and whether or not you are using the stock audio ports on the computer or an add on audio card.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

The only cables it came with was a yellow video cable. The ports are, HDMI out, optical in, AUX in, video out, and audio in. Make and model, is RCA RTD3276H. I think I just need to get an aux cable to connect to audio out on my pc to audio on in this machine, right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Are you using the stock audio ports on the computer or an add on sound card.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Stock

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

If stock then you most likely only have a green audio input port for audio, an old but good guide here

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

I don't have any of them cables in that guide. Here is my surround sound http://www.walmart.c.../41883896#about The image below shows the only ports that are on the surround sound system. There is one "Audio In" on the front that has no color designation.The other image is my motherboard.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1436559494810.jpg
  • 13-157-294-03.jpg

Edited by heartgrave, 10 July 2015 - 02:23 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Figure 11 here shows you what cables you need and how to connect them.

The MBs HDMI audio connection (spdif) requires an internal connection that goes to an add on video card that is capable of producing HD audio, AsRock explain this here

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Thank you, but what ports do I plug them into on the DVD player in the pictures above, the green, blue, and red ports?

Edited by heartgrave, 11 July 2015 - 03:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Your MB has a HDMI port so use that with the player, the speakers connect to the red and white ports.

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

The speakers are the old fashioned wires that are stripped and you have to twist the ends and put them into the the little holes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Couple of banana plugs from somewhere like radio shack or parts express here make sure that you get the right diameter.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Not heard from you for a while heartgrave, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Sorry, haven't purchase anything yet. I just started a new job and haven't got the money to get the plugs just yet. I will inform when I buy.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

No problem and thank you for the update  :thumbsup: