Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I would like to know if when you build a custom built computer that yo

• Please log in to reply

rolandortega1

rolandortega1

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I would like to know if you build a custom built computer with parts that you purchase warranty for would the warranty be voided if you build the computer yourself as apposed to a professional company building it for you.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

This is just what I know.   If buying a custom build, verify the terms with the supplier. 

If in the USA, this is fairly standard from a system builder, "STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT"

https://www.cyberpow...Day_Deal_Z97-I5

If you build your own , buying the parts, The warranty initially is between you and the seller, i.e. Newegg, then between you and the manufacturer. You do of course not have labour or support for a DIY build, but the actual parts warranty is valid.  

If in the UK or Australia, there are consume protection laws which, regardless of what the system builder states, cover things like, "fit for use" "of a reasonable quality" etc.   They cannot give a 1 year parts warranty on a CPU that has a 3 year warranty.  I think it reasonable to expect a system to last 3/5 years, and if it didn't, I would request repair with the supplier, if no  joy, be taking the matter up with the relevant authority.

\