Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Disk drive keeps decreasing!

• Please log in to reply

shockwave

shockwave

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all

My problem is similar to This problem .. but i donno how he solved things so i decided to post a new topic.

Well my problem is major .. and it is :

I have these drives on my comp :
C:\ D:\ E:\ F:\ G:\ (A:\ for floppy and H:\ for CDrom)

C, D & E = partitioned drives = 80GB (forget other drives now)

My windows is on drive C: .. which is 20gb ..

Now the problem is .. i had like 1gb left on C: .. but thn it came to 55mb or so.. so it gave me a warning to clean up .. i dont know why it came to 55mb from 1gb .. coz i dont save anything on my C: (jst windows files .. and few other things .. but my main usage is on other drives)

Anyways so i cleaned up and gave it like 200mb space

Then within minutes it dropped down to 5mb .. i was like What the...!

This time i transfered few heavy photoshop files and pictures to other drive .. and cleaned up 200-250mb .. within mintues it again dropped down to 5mb.

I told this to my brother .. he couldnt believe .. so this time i cleaned up 500mb .. and again in few minutes it dropped down to 2mb.

The thing is .. whn i try to calculate my C: drives folders .. i come up with 10-12GB .. that means i dont know where the [bleep] is this extra 2GB .. neither i know where this space goes in minutes which i make.

I even stopped surfing .. coz i dont have more thn 2mb on C: .. and seriously man i dont have anything to delete/move. :tazz:

i DO have norton .. but i dont use it at all .. its very old version .. and the "auto-protect" funtion also doesnt works (atleast whn i try to check it .. it still unchecks)

SO PLEASE HELP ME ;))

Thanks in advance !

Edited by shockwave, 14 June 2005 - 02:59 AM.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
here are a couple of things to try:

1. empty the recycle bin

2. empty the norton recycle bin

shockwave

shockwave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your reply

Im on Win XP pro .. and also i dont have any C:\recycler folder .. my recycle bin is totally empty .. and there is no folder as "NPROTECT" (which is mentioned in the link u gave)

Like i said .. i hvnt used norton for a loooooong time (maybe a year now)

Please help .. thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.werkema.c...pacemonger.html

Download the above and do a large screen shot (save as gif) and attach it so we can take a look

shockwave

shockwave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again for the reply.

Here is the screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• space_mong.gif

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, just by looking, my guess is that your swap file is growing to accomodate your needs. When you removed some junk, the swapfile was articially smaller than Windows liked, and it had shrunk it--when the space became available it took it.

Your windows hibernation ability could be turned off if you are willing to do without that function---that depends on your needs.

This is not really a computer problem, but a user problem as there is really not a ton of "wasted" space, here. You need to make some better decisions and perform better system management

I had kind of expected to see a background trojan, perhaps using you has a server, but that is not in evidence.

I will say that a casual observer would call you a software pirate. I will assume that you legally own that software, but the preponderance of peer to peer programs (edonkey, ares, kazaa) tons of file in shared, incoming and upload folders, and mirc (incuding some fairly large disk images (battlefield)), as well as some very highend expensive programs (incuding two versions of 3dsmax6 and version 4, and two versions of adobe premiere).

shockwave

shockwave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well i cant believe this

As u mentioned .. i went to those folders (Ares/kazaa/edonkey) .. i dont even remember whn and why i used them last time. because my port is always blocked so i cant even connect to those.

But whn i opened the folder .. all of the 3 programs had like thousands of zip files .. which i dont even know about .. even if someone gives me 1million i wont be able to download that much coz im on 56k .. and the main thing i dont know what the [bleep] they are.

i deleted all and i finally got over 1gb space .. but now i realise i should'd taken a screenshot so that you know what files were they.

Now the thing is .. where is this upload folder ? .. i can see hidden files and folders .. but there isnt any as C:\Uploads ..

And there are few things on that pic which i cant find on my comp (even if is search) .. infact my comp doesnt even have "C:\Windows\System32\" so i cant even use dos commands. (i dont know any though .. but i jst tried CMD)

Also .. im a freelance artist .. i mostly work for MTV .. all those programs are legally owned by me. and about that battlefield .. its jst an update mod which i tried downloading .. but it never finished.

And i installed kazaa/etc for downloading music .. but you tell me .. who in today's world dont downloads mp3 ?

Well thanks for the help so far .. but please help to solve the problem completely

Attached Thumbnails

• space_mong2.gif

shockwave

shockwave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just noticed .. that if i right-click and open the folder in spacemonge .. it opens that folder .. means if i even type "C:\Windows\System32" or "C:\Uploads" i can see the folders .. but if i go to C:\ manually to open those folders i cant see them.

Also if i type CMD in run .. it says some error :

--------------------
16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem

C:WINDOWS\System32\cmd.com
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0000 IP:03f3 OP:f0 00 f0 02 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

CLOSE -------- IGNORE

--------------------

Thats the error.

I dont want to restart my computer .. not just now. (im scared)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

And i installed kazaa/etc for downloading music .. but you tell me .. who in today's world dont downloads mp3 ?

Well thanks for the help so far .. but please help to solve the problem completely

View Post

Anyone that wants to stay legal !!! Nuff said !!

Murray

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, that's good to know--as noted, I said casual user and assumed you were legit (but why the two versions of the same program ?? -- well, I'm sure you have a reason).

As for uploads....well, that is interesting

Double click MY COMPUTER, choose TOOLS from the top menu, then FOLDER OPTIONS, then go to the VIEW tab, and check SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS.

click OK, OK, now look in c:\uploads

shockwave

shockwave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
3DS max 4 is just a demo .. its on my comp since i joined the learning institute.. i learned most of the things on it.. i completed my course (premiere/AE/maya/max/etc) 4 years earlier. and for we artist we HAVE to try programs before buying .. even if its a upgrade of a previous program which one already has.

By the way .. i already said i have "show hidden files and folders" checked .. i tried unchecking and thn checked again .. nothing happens

like i said .. i cant even see C:\WINDOWS\System32\

I cant run cmd too

please help

shockwave

shockwave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Help! =(