Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed Win7 ultimate - can't detect wlan card with driver insta

• Please log in to reply

Maikeru

Maikeru

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I hope that I can find an answer to my problem.

I've recently bought a Asus x550j laptop and installed Windows 7 Ultimate from an USB, it doesn't have any SP installed yet, while installing drivers with a pen drive, both GPU drivers installed, sound also - all from the asus website, but after installing the realtek lan and wlan drivers, the wlan didn't seem to activate or be recognised, in device manager it shows like 2 or 3 realtek devices one of which is PCI express family (which i asume is lan) i think and a still unknown network controller, should I check bios and see if wlan is on? i asume a new laptop would have it turned on, does windows have to recognise it and it doesn't because it has no updates yet? not sure what the problem is...

The last solution would be to uninstall both lan and wlan and only install lan afterwards and try to do the update?

The fn -f2 makes the wi-fi led light up but nothing shows up, I only have the no network available icon in the taskbar.

I would appreciate some help, i've been looking around for 2 hours but haven't remedied the situation yet.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

looking at asus, that laptop model has 4 possible wireless drivers. a realtek, a broadcomm, an Atheros, and a relink. have you tried the other drivers to see if those are it?