Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP stalls between Login and Desktop

• Please log in to reply

cowdenpar

cowdenpar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
Got a problem with my PC just now (DELL Dimension 3000, XP home); When ever i turn on my PC, the login screen does not appear, but with only the "hourglass" on that blue background. I left the PC at this stage for at least an hour, but to no avail.

This happened after playing Championship Manager, and trying to open Media Player. After it failed to load, Ctrl + Alt + Del showed it was not responding.

I then, after the Media Player failed to shut down, restarted my PC to find the login situation as described above.

Will I have to re-install Windows?

Can anybody :tazz: ?

Much apreciated

Cowdenpar

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Startup problems could be due to high levels of fragmentation. Since you say the programs are slow to respond, probably the HD may be heavily fragmented. If you can boot into safe mode, run CHKDSK and defragment.

cowdenpar

cowdenpar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK... I sorted this problem first time round... (i booted safe mode then restored to a previous safe point) and now a few months later.. it has happened again!!!! Now i cant even run Safe Mode!!!!

Personally, i think Dell have done this deliberatly; weird how i get a phone call asking me if I want to buy a warranty then next day this happens.hmmmmm.....conspiracy me thinks...lol

wish it were that simple.....
Any help would be appreciated.......

cheers again

Cowdenpar