Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot restore/maximize programs from task bar.

• Please log in to reply

magnia

magnia

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Last week my computer was infected my malware,had a BSOD and wouldn't even boot. Luckily I got help on this forum removing the malware but I got a new problem afterwards.

Occasionally I cannot maximize programs from the task bar, they show up as (not responding) in the task manager and I have to use 'Switch to' by right clicking the program in task manager to restore it.

The program works fine until alt-tab or switch to another program/window. This happens with full screen games mostly but also sometimes occurs with notepad and even windows explorer.

It gets really annoying when it happens to task manager itself.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

First:  Press the key with the windows icon windows8_key.png?response-content-type=i  and the letter "p" at the same time.

A panel with pictures of four computer screens will pop up.  Yours is probably set to the third picture "extend."  Mine was.

Second:   Just click on the first panel "computer only" and you should be set.   It worked great for me.

magnia

magnia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Nothing happens when I press those keys together. I am only using one monitor by the way.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

That only works on Windows 8 or 8.1, not Windows 7.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Windows flag key, and the letter P does bring up the four screens, screen choice window on Windows 7, or at least it does on my Windows 7 Pro desktop and my Windows 7 home premium laptop! Hold down the Windows flag key, then just tap the letter P key. Let go of all keys once the window has opened.

Nev.

magnia

magnia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

My windows flag key doesn't seem to working at all, it doesn't even bring up the start menu when I press it.

Edit: had a switch enabled on my logitech keyboard that disabled it, it works now. Pressing the windows flag key + P shows the 4 screens but the first one(Computer only) was already highlighted.

Edited by magnia, 08 July 2015 - 06:00 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Wasn't working for me before. I was using Remote Desktop to connect to my Win 7 system.

I just finished installing a new video card in my Win 8 system so both now have DVI video connection, then I added a DVI KVM switch, and voilla, Window key + P works now, I get this:

2015-07-08 21_24_03-Program Manager.jpg

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Good to know that all is working regarding the Windows flag key and letter P for everyone.

However this is not helping the OP as he states the system is set correctly to the "Computer only".

Having had malware cleared from the computer, the malware may have damaged some system files, so as a first line I would suggest trying a system file check using sfc /scannow.

If not sure how to perform that check, here is how to do it.

click the start orb, then in the search box type  or copy and paste :-

cmd prompt

At the top of the list that opens there should be a small black icon next to cmd.exe.

You must right click on it, and in the menu that then appears select "Run as administrator"

A black DOS like box should then open with a flashing cursor, either type or copy and paste this at the cursor :-

sfc /scannow

Note there must be a space between the sfc and the /

Then press the enter key. The scan of the system will then start and attempt to fix any corrupt or missing files.

If there are some incidences of files that could not be repaired, run the scan again, it can sometimes take three or four attempts.

If it still comes back with "Some files could not be repaired" after four tries, let us know please.

Nev.