Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

My computer will turn to a blue screen and say it had to shut computer down.  I then have to manully shut off the machine.   Just wonder what could be causing it to turn blue.  Thank you.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello Sharon Lee       :welcome:

Blue screen you mean Blue screen of Death(BSOD)?

If so then you have to provide the details what the blue screen shows?

Like this one,

http://teamapproach....eScreen2000.bmp

If so then you try to start your pc in safe mode and post back!

May be recent hardware and software changes cause this..

Any how according to the message it shows we get into some conclusion..

Regards

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Hello,   I have done what you said.  I will say that since I got on Facebook to chat with my sister who lives far away I have noticed this happening.   Could it be that I need to get off Facebook.  If that is what I have to do, it will be done soon.  Thank you for your help.   I did a safe mode start.  Do we just wait and see if this happened again? 

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Can you get me the mini dump file from this location?

%systemroot%\Minidump-->Type this in start-->Run.

If you cant find anything there we have to wait for blue screen to happen...

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

I guess we will have to wait on the blue screen for I tried many times to get you the mini dump but was unable to do so.  I did forget to mention I do have a different monitor that was hooked up about 2 weeks ago.  But I am quite sure that the blue screen showed up before that.  I have been trying to fix it myself to no avail.   So I came here where I have gotten help before.  I will copy all that things on the blue screen for you when it comes up.  Thank you.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

My computer is now shutting down without being  turned off.  I did have a blue screen but before I could get it written down, it disappeared.  Could this be from Facebook?  If so I will take it off immediately.  I need this machine to work on projects for the church.  Thank you for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If I may chime in while Dashing star is offline  :)

I did have a blue screen but before I could get it written down, it disappeared.  Could this be from Facebook?

Not likely but not 100% impossible either, try restarting the computer in Safe Mode with Networking then check for any crash dumps for us;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

If you are unable to start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking try Safe Mode only, if still no boot or the system crashes I would suspect a hardware as opposed to a software issue.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Hello,  I have tried both ways you asked me to but I do believe there is some other thing going on here for my computer if left to just be on always shuts itself off.  I believe that I am going to have to go take it to a shop.  You all have always been so good to me and I so thank you but there may be more than a couple things going on and I am not able to deal with all that.  Thank you for offering to help me.  Sharon

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If no crash dumps are available it means one of two things, 1: Crash dumps are not enabled on the computer. 2: Windows itself is not crashing and the computer is shutting down for some other reason, a common example is overheating which causes the MBs thermal sensor to shut the system down to protect the CPU from frying, you would normally get an on screen message when you restart the computer advising you that Windows had not been shut down correctly, do you get such a message on reboot.

We will be happy to continue with helping you if you would like to continue, we would need some information about the computer hardware and the OS that is installed.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Hello,  Yes, I do get a message just like that.  I had my computer man come and work on this but it is still shutting down if left on for any period of time.  I am disappointed that it is not fixed.  I know you all are go good about helping but at times it goes over my head.  :)    I shall try to do what you ask of me and thank you for offering to continue to help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Sharon Lee,

Couple of questions if I may;

What if anything did the computer man do or say about the issue.

When you power up the computer can you hear any cooling fans working.

Is it a notebook or desktop type computer, please see my canned text below for this;

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Hello,  I want you to know that my husband wanted me to call back the computer man for he was paid and the machine was still giving so many problems.  As far as what he did, I watched him but he really went fast and I can't tell you what he did.  Anyway he said the machine is fixed now.  We shall see.  I have to agree with my husband when you pay for something to be fixed, it really should be.  I want to thank you for all your help here.  I so wish I would have just stayed with you all.  This has been a head-ache and I am not one to say the computer man just did not do his job.  We all make mistakes and I shall give him the benefit of doubt.  I will be making cards and using the machine so I guess I will find out if it is fixed.   Once again thank you.  I always know I can count on you all and I so appreciate you. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hopefully the issue is now resolved and you will be able to use the computer for what is required of it, don't hesitate to come back here should you need to though  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome btw and thankyou for your kind words  :)

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thaks for updating..   :thumbsup:

Regards