Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freezes up a lot, I'm at my wit's end. :( Please help!

• Please log in to reply

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

My PC has been freezing up a lot for quite a long time now, and I've about had it. It happens with my browser open or even when I am just trying to open my documents, my pictures, or anywhere/anything else. I get a notice at the top of the screen on the blue bar that says, (Not Responding). I cannot do anything at all when that happens, I can't even open Task Manager to see what's running. The rare times I can, even the task manager gets the (Not Responding) message. I've scanned completely with AVG Professional version, and Malwarebyes PRO version, and it comes up clean every time. I do a disk cleanup every night, including system files, and I defrag regularly. Is there a program or a utility that can search out and fix this issue? Maybe it's a registry probplem I don't know because I'm not PC fix-it savvy by any means, but I am hoping someone here can help me get this issue fixed. I don't want to have to do a complete restore to original factory condition. Can anyone Please refer me to a program that can fix this issue? When it freezes up I can sometimes wait it out and it unfreezes, but most of the time I have to manually restart the computer. I have an eMachines model EL133G, with Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit OS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

et the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  Download, Save and Install it.  

Close all browsers and open progrms before running Speccy.  Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.)  Save the file and close notepad  Attach the file to your next post as it is usually too large for the forum (Click on More Reply Options then Choose file, select the file, Open, Attach this File) Uninstall Speccy.

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot.

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).

sfc  /scannow

(This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint?  IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt
notepad \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Thanks for the help, but I had another Tech tell me all I need is more RAM. I have a 500 gig hard drive with just 2 gig of RAM. I was told to add more RAM (4 gigs) and that would do the trick. Thanks for all your time and consideration.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

More RAM is usually good but I'm not convinced that it will solve your problem.  IF it doesn't help come back.

†_Moose_†

†_Moose_†

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

I have cleared up a lot of memory from my PC, and I mean a LOT. Thanks for the advice though, I do appreciate it.